Portsmouth perhaps an ideal place for NEVs

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
aminorjourney

Portsmouth perhaps an ideal place for NEVs

Postby aminorjourney » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:44 pm

Well, I heard on the news this morning that Portsmouth are introducing a 20 mph speed limit throughout the City over the next few months. It would of course make the place ideal for low speed town EVs like the City El, G-Wiz, Nice car, etc etc.

Does anyone have any more info on the speed limit reduction? Perhaps the BVS should contact someone in the council and ask them to promote EVs?

I know in Bristol with a top speed of 36-40mph I can keep up with most traffic (when it's traveling at 30 mph), but at 20mph my efficiency is really rather good and I can see low-speed EVs taking off in a city where the speed limit is only 20mph. Vehicles like the City El would then be able to be driven at about half their capable speed, allowing for more power up hills etc. When I'm flat out at 30 and I come to a hill I'm bound to slow down as I'm already giving maximum power.

What do people think? Portsmouth for the next EV campaign? Who lives that way!?
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

ChrisB

Re: Portsmouth perhaps an ideal place for NEVs

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:06 pm

aminorjourney wrote:What do people think? Portsmouth for the next EV campaign? Who lives that way!?

Dunno.......... must be someone who lives near there :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cant wait to get over there and pootle about the streets of pompy.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:27 pm

Perhaps we should try and have a south-group meet there or perhaps a stand at an event in the autumn? Kelvin?
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

marktime

Postby marktime » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:46 pm

I think Portsmouth has great potentential as an area to run EV's the City/ Southsea area is quite self contained, there are in fact only 3 roads on and off Portsea Island and one of those is a motorway.
I vaugely remember that when I went to Portsmouth Polly in the early 80's the city council were experimenting with EV's I dont know what happened to that project.

MarkTime
Soft as Graphite, Hard as Diamond, Black as Coal & clear as CO2, It's a Carbon thing!

qdos

Postby qdos » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:16 am

aminorjourney wrote:Perhaps we should try and have a south-group meet there or perhaps a stand at an event in the autumn? Kelvin?

Would certainly be a good thing to find out about for sure. Being as I'm over in Dorset I don't get up to the minute info on what's happening there in Portsmouth other than the local news but I have been aware of the 20mph zones for a while now and I would think it would be an ideal place for some form of serious EV campaign for sure. Chris could you keep an eye out on things there or anyone you now over that way and keep me informed? Who knows maybe we could get some charging points one day like they have in Bristol :D

By the way I've got some space at the Hampshire Pageant Of Motoring now, so if anyone would like to bring their EV to the show near Romsey then please let me know. This will be Bank Holiday Sunday 26th & Monday 27th August 2007 at Broadlands. It's an excellent show for clubs to go to I was there last year on the Citroen Specials and The Frog Eye Sprites stands with the very first RHD Zest.

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:19 am

Excellent work that man!

Great. I'll make sure it gets into Plugged In
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:33 pm

qdos wrote:.......... Chris could you keep an eye out on things there or anyone you now over that way and keep me informed? Who knows maybe we could get some charging points one day like they have in Bristol :D

I'll keep my ear to the ground but I havent the time I'm afraid to push for public charge points :cry: got my fingers in far too many pies I'm afraid :oops:

qdos wrote:.......... By the way I've got some space at the Hampshire Pageant Of Motoring now, so if anyone would like to bring their EV to the show near Romsey then please let me know. This will be Bank Holiday Sunday 26th & Monday 27th August 2007 at Broadlands. It's an excellent show for clubs to go to I was there last year on the Citroen Specials and The Frog Eye Sprites stands with the very first RHD Zest.

Ah might be able to do that one but as a member of another car club I'm normally on their stand :oops:

ChrisB

qdos

Postby qdos » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:50 pm

ChrisB wrote:
Ah might be able to do that one but as a member of another car club I'm normally on their stand :oops:

ChrisB

Im sure we won't hold that against you and we'll let you look at our EVs :wink:

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:19 pm

qdos wrote:
ChrisB wrote:

ChrisB

Im sure we won't hold that against you and we'll let you look at our EVs :wink:

Actually its more likely I'll be bringing the van with kit in for the "other" car club and then put the van on the BVS stand , there we go everyones happy :wink:

ChrisB

qdos

Postby qdos » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:37 pm

ChrisB wrote:
Actually its more likely I'll be bringing the van with kit in for the "other" car club and then put the van on the BVS stand , there we go everyones happy :wink:

ChrisB

That's great I'll reserve a space for you there then :) it will go down a treat I'm sure This is the Belingo isn't it? What we can do when it's empty of all the 'Other' cars stuff is fill it up with the Magazine to entice new members into the Society :D

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”