certificates for electronic gear and Uk roadworthiness

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
audia2ev

certificates for electronic gear and Uk roadworthiness

Postby audia2ev » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:53 pm

A guy from Germany doing a similar conversion to mine contacted me with this question:

[quote]Regarding the DMOC445+AC24 I asked AZD for “Electromagnetic Compatibiltyâ€Â

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:30 pm

The simple answer is, no, there are no EMC tests as part of the SVA test.

SVA is only required if the vehicle is substantially modified, so most EV conversions of existing vehicles won't require testing anyway. It's only kit cars, and radically converted vehicles, that will need to go through SVA.

Germany is well-known for being tough on rules and regulations, so it doesn't surprise me that they are imposing the need for such certificates. My guess is that such a thing would be prohibitively expensive to obtain, based on my experience of being the head of type approval for marine radio and navigation systems many years ago.

Jeremy

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:37 am

From my experience, EMC testing costs a lot to carry out, what with teh chamber and other equipment required. I had to do this when designing Electric Power Steering systems.

The Zapi controller in my Cinquecento would not pass the tests, I think. I cannot listen to AM radio whilst driving my car as the interference is too great - it just cuts out. FM is fine, though.

I wonder if the G-wiz is OK? Does it need to have EMC testing carried out as its a Quadracycle...?

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”