Electric vehicles on Top Gear next weekend

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:23 pm

I really do think that the range 'problem' was over played. Any one who has done a track day knows that your mpg is worse than halved.

My MR2, for example, could return 30mpg, but on the track it could be as low as 10 mpg.

The reliability issue, though not a great advert for the car, is not the end of the world as they've had a few cars breakdown on their track.

Not a back review, all in all.

cianof

Postby cianof » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:58 am

Some clarification of what happened during the top gear test run from Tesla.

Teslas Statement about what went wrong during the top gear testing

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:45 pm

Well having finally got round to watching this show on iplayer, I have to say I feel it was quite a impressive and what might go down in history review by Clarkson.

As others have said he really did like it and it knocked spots off the petrol version (although they never said which variant it was ? )
I found it funny that they waffled on about it breaking down, which isnt anything new on TG, they have had a fair few "super cars" give up the ghost for odd reasons, so why not the tesla ??

All in all a REALLY good reveiw I felt.

As for the Hydrogen one james tested in the states I also thought it was interesting they failed to mention the buffer of li-ions that it needs as you cant just turn on and off a large fuel cell stack like that :wink:

As for the other slight off topic bit about nuclear power stations I'll also conclude that they are not as easy to run up and down at a moments notice, infact there are only a few stations be they gas,coal,oil or nuclear that can. They are of course Hydro stations, for instance Dinorwig in wales can be pushing over 1000Mw in just under 12secs something the others can only dream of :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

RoundhillRob

Postby RoundhillRob » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:16 pm

cianof wrote:Overall the show is light hearted and fairly entertaining but I still think there's a batteries are bad, hydrogen is good vibe at the moment.

I hope the Lightning GT will change all that.

The 'battery or hydrogen' question is one that's keeping me busy at the moment, and unfortunately our current Government is also taking the view that time will tell, to avoid them having to show any leadership. What's your view?

And can you give me a URL for the Lightning GT? Thanks.

qdos

Postby qdos » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:36 pm

www.lightningcarcompany.co.uk

Not sure what the situation is with them at the moment as their motor supplier has gawn belly up I believe

MB

Postby MB » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:48 pm

RoundhillRob wrote:The 'battery or hydrogen' question is one that's keeping me busy at the moment, and unfortunately our current Government is also taking the view that time will tell, to avoid them having to show any leadership. What's your view?

I think that sitting on the fence is an entirely sensible thing to do right at the moment.

Hydrogen technology still is a way off, and advanced battery technology is hugely expensive and difficult to implement well.

Either way, no mainstream manufacturer offers either a practical, reasonably priced family car that runs on batteries or hydrogen, so the whole thing is rather academic anyway.

That will change - of course it will - but the time-will-tell option is actually a pretty good one for a government to take at the moment.
My new book is out: The 2011 Electric Car Guide is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.

FlossyThePig

Postby FlossyThePig » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:11 am

PML Flightlink website wrote:Electric Motor Works Limited has acquired the business and assets of PML Flightlink Limited pursuant to a sale conducted by PML Flightlink’s administrators

I don't know who the new company is but they were registered at Companies House on 12/11/2008.

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”