lowering weight of an ev performance effect question

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
mas

lowering weight of an ev performance effect question

Postby mas » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:38 pm

I know this is a bit of a general question but Im going to try anyway as I have a good reason to ask, and there are many fountains of EV knowledge here ( yeah butter em up) :P

As a 'general rule' from what you've seen , if you drastically lighten an EV will it speed up or only increase in range, I'm thinking they are probably generally speed limited by their controller. Say I was to lighten an EV quite a bit would it be relatively easy to tamper with or replace the controller to get a speed increase from my weight tweek as opposed to the obviously fairly automatic range increase. Hope it's a fair question

Cheers Mas

Peter Eggleston

Postby Peter Eggleston » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:55 pm

The more weight you can shed off an ev, the better, both for speed and range. I managed to shed about 100 kgs of excess weight off mine. You will notice the benefit most when going up hill. Unless the controller is already running at maximum capacity such as the one in Nigels car probably is, then it should cope with the amount of weight you are likely to shed. After all it will be doing less work.
Peter

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”