Best motor

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
hyve

Best motor

Postby hyve » Tue May 13, 2008 3:20 pm

Hi Dave
Your knowledge of obscure motors is impressive. Have you heard of an Italian firm, Best Motor, from Limidi near Modena ? Chris 'geeky grilli' gave me one of his ex-fork lift motors made there, which was very generous and it looks sound to me. Do you know anything about these; 48Vdc series 9kw cont. ?
I found the coy website but they did not reply to a query about performance. I'd like to know what the max. input might be and for how long.
Thanks
Peter Ph

electricvehicles

Postby electricvehicles » Tue May 13, 2008 4:14 pm

Hi peter

Any other details on the motor ? Length, Diameter, etc. Serial No would be great.
Regards
Dave

hyve

Best motor

Postby hyve » Wed May 14, 2008 8:03 am

Hi Dave,
The serial no. is FM860615. It's 405mm long including fan (body 230mm) and 190mm diameter.
Other data on the plate is as follows:
S2 15 MIN; S3 20%; Mat. 03-00/51; IN 230; IS H IC _; IP 20

I've not included the stuff I recognise like rpm, kw and voltage and Ecc SER. IS H I figure is class H "isolation" or insulation, but I'd like to know what all the other figures mean.

It says rpm 1600-2000 and max 4300. Is there any way I can work out, from commutator segments for example, at what rpm it will make it's 9kw ?
Having a rev limit is handy for my gearing calculations; clearly I want this as low as possible, but I also need to know where it's normal peak is on 48 V. Might this be 1600 rpm at load and 2000 with minimal load ? (It drove a hydraulic pump)
It has 4 pairs of brushes; 25,4x9,5mm with solid copper bars 12x2mm connecting the appropriate holders. The colour of the varnish on these is good and the commutator shows little wear.
The end frames are robust cast iron things and there is provision at the terminal box for extra, as if it could also be made as a sepex. I'm going to need to convert it to that, to use my bargain Curtiss controller.

Electric motors may look pretty simple and they certainly don't need anything like the maintenance of an IC engine, but there's still a hell of a lot to know about them !

By the way, it weighs 50kg, which is pretty hefty: is it OK to mill slots into the body, both to create cooling fins, and lightening ? Naturally it will need at least a ring of solid material left for local stiffening around the points where the field poles are fixed, but unless the body has to do with the magnetic field it looks to me like a lot of metal could be carved off.
Finally, where would be the best place to fix a temperature sensor ?

I've piled a lot of questions onto you here; many many thanks for your time and help, Dave.

Regards,
Peter Ph

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”