Brush replacement for DC motors

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
marctorrance

Brush replacement for DC motors

Postby marctorrance » Mon May 12, 2008 5:37 pm

Hi guys,

This is my first post here, although I have wandered in from time to time to fetch the odd pearl of wisdom. I'd like some advice on finding replacement DC motor brushes. I've discovered that my DC motor is made by Kostov, it's one of their models designed for Sepex control. Does anyone know where I can get replacement brushes?

If not, what is a good general strategy for getting good replacements? I've found a few generic brush manufacturers who almost say that they'll "make anything you like out of carbon". Are these guys any good, and what is the right price to pay for a set of brushes?

Thanks

electricvehicles

Postby electricvehicles » Tue May 13, 2008 6:43 am

Give these people a call, I have used them 100s of times over the years and they have never failed to deliver the goods.

Morganite Electro Carbon

Stanhope Street
Highgate
Birmingham
UK
B12 0UZ
Tel. +44 (0)121 7733738
Fax +44 (0)121 7714473

Pls keep us informed of developments.

marctorrance

Postby marctorrance » Tue May 13, 2008 10:27 am

Thanks electricvehicles. I used their online "carbon brush rapid order form" on saturday, but have yet to receive a reply. I'll give them a little longer to avoid having to go through all the details of the brushes again. I must say the website does look very good. I got a reply from SD Carbons in Belfast, they're charging 8-10 GBP a brush (+ postage) depending on quantity. Does that seem reasonable?

In the meantime, the OEM has got back to me. They're happy to supply them ex-works. Since they're in Bulgaria, I'd have to arrange for a courier to go over there, pick them and deliver them back to me. Any advice on doing this?

electricvehicles

Postby electricvehicles » Tue May 13, 2008 11:46 am

Hi

8-10 is more or less the going rate. I am surprised that they have not got back to you yet. I would give them a call if I were you.
But wait a moment, try giving these poeple a call Towrite 01858 467805.
They produce industrial vehicles and use to import BKC aka Bulkan Car from Bulgaria. They might be able to sort you out a set of brushes.

Regards
Dave

marctorrance

Postby marctorrance » Sat May 17, 2008 10:23 am

Hi electricvehicles. Just thought I'd post an update. I didn't get a reply from Morganite. I haven't chased them up or contacted Towrite because the OEM has agreed to ship the brushes. Rather than annoy all these UK makers with a small order I'm going to wait and see if it works out with the OEM.

Hopefully some time within the next two weeks I will receive the OEM brushes. In a way it would be better, being the manufacturer's own brush, and it may work out a bit cheaper too. It is possible that a UK brush would be of better quality, but I just don't know enough to be able to make that judgement.

marctorrance

Postby marctorrance » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:30 pm

@electricvehicles: Thanks for the advice. I received the brushes from the OEM. I couldn't get them made for the same price here.

If anyone needs a set of original brushes for their Reva G-Wiz DC, send me a PM. I can do 8 for 55GBP including UK postage, or 4 for 30GBP including UK postage.

For the moderators: I only have a handful of brush sets, this is a private sale to cover my costs. If you feel it contradicts the guidelines, please feel free to remove the post.

derekcfoley

Re: Brush replacement for DC motors

Postby derekcfoley » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:57 am

I'm after a set. I know this thread is rather old! Please contact me if you have some!

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”