Lard Removal

Do you own or use or want to build a assisted bike then here is the place for you.
retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:32 am

I didn't fit the brake levers, pedal sensor thingy or the supplied rack.

It works fine using the thumb throttle without brake levers/pedal sensor.

The rack did not fit my bike and I had one fitted anyway so a few bungee's and I lashed battery to my own rack.

One or two dodgy connector crimps, I re-crimped and soldered two as the bullet connectors pulled straight off when I gave them a gentle test tug. I did tell the supplier about this and he acknowledged he had rushed that a bit.

With the level of knowledge on here these minor problems are no problems and it seems to work well and I'm bloody heavy. I would say it's a damn sight quieter than the Henizmann thing I had a few years ago and seems to have got a bit quieter after the first few miles. Cogs getting worn in. But it's not silent.

It now comes with a sort of quite wide big tyre and inner tube already fitted to the supplied wheel, but my bike has very narrow tyres so I swapped the front tyre/tube from my original wheel onto it.

I have a spare tyre, tube, rack, pedal sensor and brake levers if anyone wants them for price of postage.

Peter

PS Just for QDOS the Insight is now doing 157mpg :lol:

Edit just done another 12 mile trip, when chugging along at about 16mph pedaling as well as using motor, the motor is very lightly loaded and is quite quiet 8)
Last edited by retepsnikrep on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

floydster
Site Staff

Postby floydster » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:21 am

Thanks for the info, sounds perfect for what I'm after.

Think I'll order one later on today.

Thanks,

Floydster
I know I'm in my own world - it's OK, they know me here.

qdos

Postby qdos » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:57 am

retepsnikrep wrote:PS Just for QDOS the Insight is now doing 157mpg :lol:

Now you're really showing off! But I'm wondering how much pedalling you're dong to achieve this. It just dawned on me you've probably got the bike attached to it! ;)

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:51 pm

Done about 100miles on bike now, still seems good. Rolls along at a good 15-17mph with me on.

Bet it goes even better with someone who weighs 50kg instead of 100kg+

:shock:

Might add/try simple on/off switch to act as throttle/controller bypass.

Only use when actually moving at say 10mph and then throw switch all or nothing, but no losses from controller and perhaps another mph with better hill climbing.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.

microman

Postby microman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:15 pm

Unless the kit differs from my complete bike, its a brushless motor. So you can't bypass the controller, though you can bypass the speed control resistor. However mine's already screwed up to the limit to get the legal maximum of 15mph. My controller seems to limit the current to 12A not the 15A he claims and this agrees with markings on the controller. Have you looked at yours?

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:22 pm

I haven't looked at it to be fair, just day dreaming.

I notice it's a two wire connection to the motor so I was expecting something nice and simple.

May not be able to bypass controller but might open it for a little poke about! :wink:
Regards Peter

floydster
Site Staff

Postby floydster » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:02 pm

floydster wrote:Seriously thinking about buying this kit to convert an old bike for my OH to use. Floydster

My forks are too narrow :( About 75mm at the narrowest point. Another one for the back burner.

Floydster

microman

Postby microman » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:02 pm

When all else fails there's always brute force!

retepsnikrep: The kit illustration on his site definitely shows the 3 phase wires and the four sense wires like mine. And the controller is quite well sealed.

floydster
Site Staff

Postby floydster » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:23 pm

microman wrote:When all else fails there's always brute force!

Unfortunately they're quite thick and narrow all the way. :( Here's a picture.

I'd planned to upgrade the components on my daily bike and transfer them over to this old one to make it usable again, never mind!

I'll stick a wanted on the local freecycle but I've a feeling it'll be easier to find a complete unwanted bike.

Floydster

Return to “Electrically assisted bikes”