Brushless motor on bike

Do you own or use or want to build a assisted bike then here is the place for you.
soapmachine

Brushless motor on bike

Postby soapmachine » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:13 pm

Hi all

I have been playing with the Brushless motor concept on a mountain bike, and using a 1000kv motor to drive the frount wheel just to see how much power these motors realy have. I first of all made a small braket out of stainless steel and as the motor Iam using is an outruner I decided to run the motor body strait on the tyre very simple stait fullward set up, using the hole that is all ready in the forks to hold it on. I fixed the speed controler on the steering colum and the lipo battery on the frame with cable ties and using a servo ajuster as the throtle. Bearing in mind these motors are so tiny only 25mm in diameter the power they produce is amazing, and so ever thing was in place and I lifted the frount wheel of the ground and turned up the power wow this baby can shift theres no dout about that. I tutch the tyre on the ground this was the stall test no chance of that the power was there so the nexed thing was to take it for a spin up the road it will not pull away from a standing start so I pedeled of and then aplied some power and it seams to be quite nippy on the flat road but on the hilly bits needs a bit of help but I did not think it would have anouth power to do the job at all so was quite surprised by the power of sutch a small motor. My nexed stage is to get a 200kv moror and try that.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:14 pm

So are you talking about these little RC brushless motors SB ??

Have you any pics of the design ??

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

soapmachine

Brushless motor on bike

Postby soapmachine » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:52 pm

Hi CrisB

Yes this is a motor of a R C plain only 25 mm in diameter you would not beleave it and less you could see it, sory no pics., at present.

thanks Owen.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:08 pm

Ah I thought it might have been.

I know a chap who gets dragged about on a skate board by his brushless powered R/C car :shock:

Although I'm not convinced its got long term power as he has blown up a few doing this practice and while they do have huge amounts of power, it appears that long term they smoke themselves or the controller if you ask it to deliver it ?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

qdos

Postby qdos » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:33 am

Jeremy is playing around with these on a multi motored vehicle. There's been a number built and some shown on youTube with very impressive results including a very fast gokart that does 70+mph

Return to “Electrically assisted bikes”