Lit Motors are developing an aerodynamic self-balancing m/c

An area for all you bikers who now run your two wheeler on battery power, scooter owners to.
arsharpe

Lit Motors are developing an aerodynamic self-balancing m/c

Postby arsharpe » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:05 am

Lit Motors are developing an aerodynamic self-balancing electric motorcycle. Expected to have range of 200 mile. See media section on their website for prototype test.

ex925

Re: Lit Motors are developing an aerodynamic self-balancing

Postby ex925 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:54 pm

I like the "how" section. Appeared open and honest to me

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:05 am

It's very nice but a million miles from the real thing.

There is no suspension clearance for the wheels.
The front wheel/suspension mechanism needs to be sufficiently wide to allow a reasonable turning circle to the left. ... Oh yes, if they also propose a front wheel motor then hub centre steering is not possible unless it is built in-house because there is nothing on the market to accommodate that.
The windscreen if full height in Europe needs to be laminated glass and have a wiper.
The numberplate slot does not meet European plates.
It will require landing wheels like the truly 200 miles X-Tracer which is a large, heavy and a $500,000+ one-off.
The gyro's will need to be disconnected from holding the bike up while moving or it will do silly things going up or down hills and taking corners.
Lastly, for that kind of mileage and the proposed gyro sized unit they made plus the controls/rider/passenger etc.... 200 miles? You could fit 6KWH between the legs providing they lose the steering column. Assuming 60WH/mile, that's 100 miles from fully charged to a destroyed pack.

But as a concept its well nice and we can only hope its going to be a good one!

"The 2014 C-1 is estimated to cost as low as $19,900 USD after federal tax incentives". Like the 200 mile $50k Model S Tesla; not happening. This is in CA where those incentives are very high. It's still in deep research with lots of pretty pictures. I've not seen it take a corner yet.

The tilting trike option would be much more practical proposition for a "feet free" trike.

genawin

Postby genawin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:36 pm

Beemer wrote:The windscreen if full height in Europe needs to be laminated glass and have a wiper.

I think your right but would you be able to find where it states that ?

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:30 pm

genawin wrote:
Beemer wrote:The windscreen if full height in Europe needs to be laminated glass and have a wiper.

I think your right but would you be able to find where it states that ?

For an overview you need to search with "windscreen" and you can also search "self balancing".
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 542:en:NOT

Stuff here... but! It seems to allude to excusing one-off's for type approval.
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 01:EN:HTML
http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/ ... dex_en.htm

I once kept a full set of bookmarks somewhere for everything bike/trike. There are drawings around that show things like fitment dimensions of lights, mirrors.. you name it. If only I kept them. It's a maze of obfuscation!

However, here are a list of testing stations that put vehicles on the road. You can ask them if you want.
http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/ ... dom_en.pdf

Return to “Electric Motor Bikes”