A pedelec and throttle question (Magic Pie Motor)

An area for all you bikers who now run your two wheeler on battery power, scooter owners to.
Friend

A pedelec and throttle question (Magic Pie Motor)

Postby Friend » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi Guys,

I am new on this forum. I need to resolve a problem and I would be very grateful if you could help.

I have some three wheeled bicycles with engines on them.

My question is;

What do I need to do to be able to start the magic pie motors with pedelec then be able to carry on with throttle!

The rider must start the engine by pedalling and once the engine starts working than the rider should be able to start using the throttle, While the throttle is used the rider should not need to pedal anymore.

So it must start with pedelec but later it should be swapped to throttle!

The main point here is that the rider should not be able to use the throttle to start the engine! The engine should only start by peddaling! the throttle should only be able to used while the vehicle is on the move! We do not want rider to start the engine with throttle.

Can we install such function on magic pies? If we can install such function could you please tell me what do we need to do?

Any help is much appreciated.

timpootle

Re: A pedelec and throttle question (Magic Pie Motor)

Postby timpootle » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:00 am

I'm confused by the words you use. When you say engine, do you mean electric motor, or petrol/diesel engine?

Also, what is a "magic pie" motor?

European pedelec regulations require pedalling while the motor runs; British regulations don't require this, and you can "twist and go". It sounds like you are after a combination of the two, which should be possible if a bit strange. Tell us more.
Tim Crumpton

Friend

Postby Friend » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:08 am

Hi Timpootle,

Ok, it is electric motor. Golden motor produced a model called Magic pie (I wrote this, just in case someone might be using it).

I am not using this motors in the UK.

The rider should not be able to use the throttle to kick off the motor! The motor should only kick off by peddaling! the throttle should only be able to used while the vehicle is on the move! We do not want rider to start the engine with throttle.

I hope you can help

Bill

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:26 am

Hi Friend,
I'm doubting its the hub motor itself that needs you to cycle but the motor controller. There are a few UK cycle shops around that should be able to help but expect to pay money for a new controller at the very worst.

Tim,
Can young Andy help here because he seems knowledgeable about Golden Motors magic pie wheel hub set ups? He's going to do a twin wheel jobbie so I doubt it's a pedelec.

The website for your bike/motors etc is here: http://www.goldenmotor.com/ The UK importer is a bit remote in Fife, worst luck.

I've ridden a couple of electric bikes in my time, one a pedelec and had fun :)
Andy

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:24 am

Friend - sounds like you just need a switch at zero throttle position which the controller would need to see before starting the motor (but not need all the time, or the throttle would never do anything.)

I have no idea how to achieve this. Sorry. Beemer is right - the man you need is young Andy, who comes to our social meets but does not post here. He is active on http://endless-sphere.com/forums/ , though. I suggest you try asking there.
Tim Crumpton

dezellis

Postby dezellis » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:36 pm

Friend wrote:Hi Guys,

I am new on this forum. I need to resolve a problem and I would be very grateful if you could help.

I have some three wheeled bicycles with engines on them.

My question is;

What do I need to do to be able to start the magic pie motors with pedelec then be able to carry on with throttle!

The rider must start the engine by pedalling and once the engine starts working than the rider should be able to start using the throttle, While the throttle is used the rider should not need to pedal anymore.

So it must start with pedelec but later it should be swapped to throttle!

The main point here is that the rider should not be able to use the throttle to start the engine! The engine should only start by peddaling! the throttle should only be able to used while the vehicle is on the move! We do not want rider to start the engine with throttle.

Can we install such function on magic pies? If we can install such function could you please tell me what do we need to do?

Any help is much appreciated.

Hi,
See http://www.goldenmotor.com/MP%20drawing.jpg
The pedelec sensor or PAS; senses that pedalling is occurring and then provides assistance.
Normally I believe pedelec control or throttle control are used but not normally both together although I am not certain of this.

Return to “Electric Motor Bikes”