New to EV motorbikes

An area for all you bikers who now run your two wheeler on battery power, scooter owners to.
Fat-tony71

Re: New to EV motorbikes

Postby Fat-tony71 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:27 pm

Just looked at Headway HQ site, The cells start at $19 each up to 99 units, But they also do ready made packs with bms etc. I will have to email them with the details of what im gonna be running to see what they advise.

Fat-tony71

Postby Fat-tony71 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:01 pm

Whats the general concencus on Thundersky packs? Just wondering on the benifits etc of a sealed unit. Although I think the Headways are a better option as i can build the shape i want.

hohisilver

Postby hohisilver » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:04 pm

That's the main reason I'm going the Headway route - if you get a cell go down in a sealed pack I doubt you could replace it, whereas with the Headways (especially the screw tab ones) you just take the pack apart and replace the offending cell.
Ian.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....

Fat-tony71

Postby Fat-tony71 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:07 pm

Thought that would be my best bet, Just need to configure them into a decent shape I guess

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:48 pm

The Headways are probably the easiest way to make an odd-shaped pack that will fit the frame more easily. The Thundersky cells are OK, but are a bit of an awkward shape to try and fit into a frame.

Jeremy

Fat-tony71

Postby Fat-tony71 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:13 pm

Jeremy wrote:The Headways are probably the easiest way to make an odd-shaped pack that will fit the frame more easily. The Thundersky cells are OK, but are a bit of an awkward shape to try and fit into a frame.

Jeremy

Agree with you on that mate, Headways its gonna be. I should be able to get 10 in the old tank space, The can then get spread around where the old engine used to be.

Fat-tony71

Postby Fat-tony71 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:26 pm

Quick update on progress. The engine and most of the other ice parts have now been sold, should have the motor and controller soon. I've had to move my workshop around a bit to give myself a clear space to work, should be finished moving stuff this weekend. I'm building my loom for the 12v stuff myself, not to hard due to only having a few bits to it. Ive decided to go with the headway cells, just need to find the money for them.

Daz

PHEV

Postby PHEV » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:29 pm

Hi there,

Not sure if it's of help to you at all, but a friend of mine has emigrated to Australia and left his unfinished EV behind. I have his LIFEbatt cells here (I think around 120 of them). They have been sitting a while, but last test showed still over 9AH capacity, and they may recover a little more with a few cycles even. I think he would be willing to clear these out for £10 a cell. It's proving far too expensive to ship these to Australia. Drop me a line if your interested, and I'll put you in touch with him. steve@jozztek.com.
Steve
*Mazda MX-5, 300KW peak, 300v 20KW/h lipo pack, Soliton 1000A controller. 1100KG.
*Ducati SS twin Agni 80HP peak.
*Aprilia RS motorcycle, 500A controller, Cedric's AgniMotor, 96v 6kw/h LiPo pack, 130kg, 90mph.
www.jozztek.com

Fat-tony71

Postby Fat-tony71 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:20 pm

PHEV wrote:Hi there,

Not sure if it's of help to you at all, but a friend of mine has emigrated to Australia and left his unfinished EV behind. I have his LIFEbatt cells here (I think around 120 of them). They have been sitting a while, but last test showed still over 9AH capacity, and they may recover a little more with a few cycles even. I think he would be willing to clear these out for £10 a cell. It's proving far too expensive to ship these to Australia. Drop me a line if your interested, and I'll put you in touch with him. steve@jozztek.com.
Steve

Hi Steve,

Very interested in them. Will pm you

Daz

Fat-tony71

Postby Fat-tony71 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:10 pm

So im off to Silverstone tomorrow to pick my cells up!. Just need to sort the motor and controller out with Jeremy and I can start the build. Ive been chopping up the tank today, Just cut the bottom out to give me some more room. Will get some new pictures up asap.

Daz

Return to “Electric Motor Bikes”