Shock absorbers and scoots

An area for all you bikers who now run your two wheeler on battery power, scooter owners to.
badnewswade

Shock absorbers and scoots

Postby badnewswade » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:13 pm

Hi there, as you may know from another thread, I've upgraded the range on my electric scoot to 30-35 miles by the simple expedient of putting more batts in. The suspension does tend to wallow a bit now though, and I'm only a few more batts away from getting 40, 45, maybe even the big 50 miles per charge! 8)

What kind of rear shockers do you recommend buying? I've seen some adjustables on ebay for £35, should I get some of them and adjust 'em to "hard" or "extra hard"? My bike has roughly 30cm between the retaining bolts btw.

Ebay adjustable shockers:
http://tinyurl.com/n5ubfm

My scoot's evalbum page:
http://www.evalbum.com/2486
34 Watt Hours per mile, or > 700 MPG. What, me, smug?

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:58 am

As you've increased the weight, you need stiffer springs, rather than just stiffer shock absorbers. Those shocks you linked to look like car ones, with no springs, what you are really looking for is uprated combined coil spring/damper units, I think.

Without knowing the spring rate of the ones you've got already, it's going to be tricky to advise on what you might need, but I'd suggest taking a look at those on some heavier bikes and seeing if you think they might be made to fit.

Jeremy

badnewswade

Postby badnewswade » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:00 pm

Those shocks you linked to look like car ones, with no springs, what you are really looking for is uprated combined coil spring/damper units, I think.

Would it be a Bad Idea to use those on the scoot then?
34 Watt Hours per mile, or > 700 MPG. What, me, smug?

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:19 pm

Well, that depends. They don't seem to have any spring mounts, so that might present a problem. Then there's the matter of length and stroke, these need to match the space and movement range of your scooters suspension, finally there's the type of fixings, most scooters and bikes use coil spring damper units with eyes on both ends.

You may be able to improve your set-up by increasing the spring pre-load on your existing suspension units, perhaps by adding a small spacer ring under the springs. You'd need to make sure that the springs can't get coil-bound at full compression though.

Alternatively, you may find some stiffer springs that you can use to replace the standard ones. A look around at some other bikes might give you some clues as to what might fit - you'd be looking for springs made from thicker wire, with the same length and internal diameter as the one's you have at the moment. A trip to a bike breakers might be an idea, as the chances are that you might find some units from a heavier scooter that can be persuaded to fit.

Jeremy

mariatamis

Postby mariatamis » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:50 am

hi there ,
i read comment. its depend on daily uses.stiffer shocked absorber might be ur heavy weight and lose one for light weight .... then might be solve ur problem...

Return to “Electric Motor Bikes”