Honda H100 project

An area for all you bikers who now run your two wheeler on battery power, scooter owners to.
granada203028

Honda H100 project

Postby granada203028 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:53 pm

Here are some details on my electric motor cycle conversion. I have posted a few comments on the Li Poly batteries I am using so here are some details on the rest of the project.

The chassis is a 1992 Honda H100 S2. This proved pretty friendly to rework and it proved possible to just use existing centres so could be fully converted back to petrol. 6V electrics were converted to 12V. Only real shortcoming is the drum front brake. Long term it should be possible to convert this to a disk brake from a similar sized CB100.

The battery is a 20P 10S array of 10Ah Li Poly Cells from www.batteryspace.com. So far though only half are fitted, further split into two “pannierâ€Â

genawin

Postby genawin » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:55 am

i'm very impressed with your bike project , perhaps i could arrange to meet you as i live near Bristol . if your interested i could tell you how i went through the system last year with my motor cycle conversion and talk about the upgrading of your brakes as i'm a retired motor cycle dealer , good luck hope to hear from you soon . Martin.

p.s. i just relised where i've seen that name before "hello Paul" sorry i was so slow to reconise you i should have gessed !
Last edited by genawin on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:20 am

Yes, very impressive build. This is different in so many ways from the run-of-the-mill conversion (like mine). The electronics go way over my head, although I do recognise the flux capacitor in that sixth photo :D

If the LiPo battery is 20p 10s that means a nominal voltage of 37.5V? Will you add the rest of the pack in series for 75V? What's your target range? It seems like 100 miles would be achievable taking it easy.

I'm particularly interested in the belt drive, I've not seen a timing belt like that before. Where did you source the belt and pulleys. How does it sound?

Sorry for all the questions, but unlike Martin I'm too far away to just pop round and bend your ear :)

granada203028

Postby granada203028 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:33 pm

Thanks for your interest guys. Currently with only half the batteries fitted it is a 10p 10s array. When I add the tank battery this will be in parallel so voltage remains 38V or so. Motor current limit is 200A to be increased to 300A with the extra batteries. I was hoping for 60 mile range and 60 mph e.g. capable of motorway work. Brief run around the block with 150A limit was rather disappointing, 60 mph looks rather optimistic.

The timing belt came from HPC gears. Cost about £250 including machining splines on the small one and a key on the big one. Overall sound is a fairly classic wine/werring noise. The chain makes a buzzing sound and I have two small blowers on the motor which run all the time.

Passed its MOT today and I have taken out insurance with Footman James - the only company who quoted. Next week is DVLA inspection.

I will try to come along to the Bristol meets next year.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:01 pm

Just loving the Bike, some fantastic work put into it 8)

Looking forward to seeing it at a show sometime :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

PHEV

Postby PHEV » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:44 pm

Oh thats a beauty, well done. Hope to see it in the flesh one day..

Steve
*Mazda MX-5, 300KW peak, 300v 20KW/h lipo pack, Soliton 1000A controller. 1100KG.
*Ducati SS twin Agni 80HP peak.
*Aprilia RS motorcycle, 500A controller, Cedric's AgniMotor, 96v 6kw/h LiPo pack, 130kg, 90mph.
www.jozztek.com

granada203028

Postby granada203028 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:33 pm

Here are a few more pictures. I now have all the batteries 10S 20P 10Ah each so approx 7.5KWh total. Performance is now reasonable with the intended 300A limit. Although the initial get away still feels a little sluggish, acceleration is almost constant up to base speed around 40 mph. Above this the field of the shunt motor needs to be weakened. I have a speed sense but this still needs tweaking.

One problem, the long top run of the chain needs to be constrained above approx where the original sprocket used to be. Using a roller, the chain makes quite loud buzzing noise as it runs under it. Goes quiet when it relaxes on the over run (no regenerative braking).

Another thing, what do commercial controllers actually control on? e.g. throttle closed loop current like I do or something else. With current it is vulnerable to going flat out if the sense is lost. I tried open loop i.e. the throttle drives the PWM directly with the current limit just for protection. This was very all or nothing, jumping from 0 to 300 with only a small throttle adjustment. I guess this is the "biting" point of the pwm matching the motor emf so the throttle becomes a speed demand.

Just needs some paint now to match the side panels and some weather/vibration proofing.

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:12 am

"Impressive, most impressive"

Great work, and I love those home made cells pods, you could almost start a business selling them. :D
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

Return to “Electric Motor Bikes”