Smith Edison (Zebra Battery Transit)

Got a hot news story concerning EV's, be it on the TV, Radio or seen it in the press, then share it with us here.
Geoff

Smith Edison (Zebra Battery Transit)

Postby Geoff » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:07 pm

This is more like cold off the press, but as I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else in the forum, see attached.........

http://www.whatvan.co.uk/newvans_s.asp?id=5100

Maybe some one could try and get a test drive for the BVS mag !!!!

Geoff

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:58 pm

Nice find and they are made by

http://www.smithelectricvehicles.com/

I want one as well 8) I wonder what they cost ?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Peter Eggleston

Smiths Electric Vehicles

Postby Peter Eggleston » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:40 pm

I just attended Tanfield Groups AGM where Smiths Electric Vehicles are made, and this company is really going places. The directors are dynamic and passionate and love what they are doing. To them it is not just a job.
The company has increased its profit from last year by 209% from £1.7 million to £5.4 million. Turn over from £16.5 million to £36.8 million.
Their projection is to have a £800 million turnover by 2010.
This includes their other main product line which is aerial work platforms.
A factory has also just been acquired in Kansas USA and they are about to start production of electric delivery vehicles over there.

I could go on spouting figures for ages, but the good part was after the AGM a conducted tour of the factory was included. We got to see all the production lines and the finished vehicles, some already in their new owners livery, eg TNT.

I could not arrange a test drive, as I think you need to be seriously thinking of buying one but there was a new demonstration vehicle painted in Smiths livery for use at commercial vehicle shows.

The Transit based Smiths Edison is I believe around £45,000
Peter

Peter Eggleston

Smiths Electric Vehicles

Postby Peter Eggleston » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:39 am

Correction. It is aerial platforms that are to be produced in Kansas. The electric vehicles are to be made at their factory at Fresno, California which will tie in nicely with the demand for electric vehicles in California.
Peter

Return to “Hot off the press....”