UK EVSE Trade Association disapprove DIY Charging Stations

Got a hot news story concerning EV's, be it on the TV, Radio or seen it in the press, then share it with us here.
Kevin Sharpe

UK EVSE Trade Association disapprove DIY Charging Stations

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:45 pm

sad day for consumer choice... UK EVSE Trade Association disapprove DIY Charging Stations :cry:

ZCW_CENEX.png
ZCW_CENEX.png (167.76 KiB) Viewed 42078 times
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

tigerbay

Re: UK EVSE Trade Association disapprove DIY Charging Statio

Postby tigerbay » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:30 pm

If they didn't make the charging designs deliberately over-complicated and dependent on the grid, then people wouldn't be needing to create DIY charging stations. Wonder whether you can sue them under EU Trade Competition rules?

skooler

Postby skooler » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:09 am

It'd be very hard for them to take action against Kevin / ZCW as there is no personal or commercial gain for him / ZCW.

Cant they concentrate on standardization rather than trying to block the tinkerers and innovators in this area? without people like Kevin this industry would be in a much worse situation.

By the way, we have just had six J1772 charge stations installed next to us. I'd love to install a Mennekes type 2 socket on my car (or justify the purchase of an adapter) but it seems all the EVSE nearby runs on the non-standard...
Posts by Mike Schooling
Director and tech lead at indra.co.uk

Mazda RX8, Soliton Jr, 24KWH Sinopoly LiFePO4, Kostov 11alpha
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/sh ... 61556.html

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:20 pm

Wow. Just, wow.

Thanks for publishing this, Kevin. Who do the UKEVSEA intend to 'escalate' to, I wonder. If I install a socket on my house and follow all the building regulations when I do it, I am confident I am neither breaking a law nor causing a [fire,safety] risk.
Tim Crumpton

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:44 pm

Transport Evolved - UK Trade Association Wants to Stop DIY Charging Stations

"The UK Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment association, a trade body that represents suppliers of charging stations and charging station management systems, has written a strongly-worded letter asking a UK charity to cease the promotion of do-it-yourself charging stations."
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

ChrisBarron

Postby ChrisBarron » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:21 pm

I do hope you ignore them Kevin.

They are a mere trade organisation, self formed and self governing. They will end up tripping over their own shoe laces over this if left to fester :)

Chris

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:04 pm

They are missing the point, if parts are not made available, then a number of people will still build these units, so any perceived risk is actually increased not decreased by their action. More to the point is that all of the charge point suppliers/installers are making money not through selling any products but through milking the available government subsidies. So if you allow people to build their own, then they fail to make money from governemnt subsidies. Also they lose a potential fiutre income streams from the data they gather on behalf of the governemnt and their potential future income stream from revenues when they start charging for power. They want you as a user of their network.
So I think this is a very misguided / stupid approach to a very small numebr of purchasers of self build charge points. If they wish to ban these, then they should get manufacturers of EVs to ban any home built conversion, all diy should be banned and only builders should do work on houses, and no one should ever be allowed to repair their own cars. Let alone change a light bulb (Oh that already happens in a lot of organisations)

This action probably even conflicts with EU competion rules.

Grumpy-b

Beemer

Re: UK EVSE Trade Association disapprove DIY Charging Stations

Postby Beemer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:41 pm

nobody has yet mentioned the one little meme that motivates them...

Self interest.

Nobody here has any contractual obligations with them at all. What next, the motor vehicle associations coming after home builders of vehicles?

Return to “Hot off the press....”