Government sets out vision for electric car infrastructure

Got a hot news story concerning EV's, be it on the TV, Radio or seen it in the press, then share it with us here.
ChrisB

Government sets out vision for electric car infrastructure

Postby ChrisB » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:59 am

Interesting news here

http://www.dft.gov.uk/news/press-releas ... s-20110630

In particular .....

The strategy outlines support for plug-in vehicle infrastructure through;

•Ensuring plug-in vehicles are an attractive choice for the motorist – e.g. ensuring that Britain’s smart metering is implemented so that cars can charge when it’s cheapest for the consumer; providing comprehensive information through a National Chargepoint Registry so when a motorist needs to use a public chargepoint they know where to find one; ensuring systems are in place so that all chargepoints can be used by all motorists; and challenging industry to resolve, by the end of the year a range of technical issues that will allow the market to grow in the UK.
Making it easier for private enterprise to provide recharging infrastructure by removing regulatory barriers – e.g. establishing a Permitted Development Right for chargepoints so they no longer need planning permission; and Ofgem will consult this year on an exemption that makes it clear that charge point owners and operators can sell electricity via chargepoints at the market rate;
•Proposing the inclusion of policy on plug-in vehicle infrastructure in the National Planning Policy Framework, due for consultation next month, to encourage local authorities to consider adopting policies to include plug-in vehicle recharging infrastructure in new domestic, workplace and retail developments.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

timpootle

Re: Government sets out vision for electric car infrastructu

Postby timpootle » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:03 pm

Your quote sounded good. This one doesn't:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... licy-uturn
The promised vision of a network of electric highways wired up for a fleet of battery-powered cars became the latest government pledge to fall victim to spending cuts.

A report published by theDepartment for Transport declared that widespread public charging points for electric vehicles would be "under-utilised and uneconomic", and said the nation should instead rely on recharging car and van batteries at home or at work.
(Thanks to Brian at electriccarsUK@yahoogroups.com for pointing me at this.)

I don't know what to think right now. Will have to read them both carefully.
Tim Crumpton

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:20 pm

some key quotes from the report...

"Our approach is not to mandate ‘a chargepoint on every corner’ – this is not necessary to help the market grow and would be uneconomic. Rather, for plug-in vehicles to appeal to, and be a viable solution for, consumers, we want recharging infrastructure to be targeted, convenient and safe. We want to see the majority of recharging taking place at home, at night, after the peak in electricity demand. Home recharging should be supported by workplace recharging for commuters and fleets, with a targeted amount of public infrastructure where it will be most used, allowing people to make the journeys they want."

"We are linking up the Plugged-In Places. The projects plan to install around 50 rapid chargers. We are working with them to ensure that their plans are properly co-ordinated so that the maximum number of journeys are enabled. For example, strategic placement of rapid chargers by the projects in the north of the country would enable journeys between Manchester, Newcastle, Edinburgh and Glasgow."

"Industry – as represented by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders’ Electric Vehicle Group, the Plugged-In Places and the Institution of Engineering and Technology’s Electric Vehicle Group – favours moving to a dedicated plug-in vehicle recharging connector (the IEC62196-2 Type 2) to allow faster recharging rates (up to 32A) than are possible with a three-pin plug. Given this clear direction of travel from industry, the Plugged-In Places will start to install public infrastructure with Type 2 connectors."

"Establishing a National Chargepoint Registry to allow all chargepoint manufacturers and infrastructure scheme operators to make data on their chargepoints available in one place, which will enable comprehensive information to be provided to consumers by satnavs and websites. Currently there is no single, comprehensive source of chargepoint data, with consumers faced with a significant amount of internet research before attempting any journey other than ones that they are already familiar with. The data will be made available through data.gov.uk and is due to be available by the end of the year. The Registry will be supported by the Government until the end of the Plugged-In Places programme, and from that point onwards it will be for the plug-in vehicle infrastructure market to provide and support the Registry."
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:43 pm

timpootle wrote:Your quote sounded good. This one doesn't:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... licy-uturn
The promised vision of a network of electric highways wired up for a fleet of battery-powered cars became the latest government pledge to fall victim to spending cuts.

A report published by theDepartment for Transport declared that widespread public charging points for electric vehicles would be "under-utilised and uneconomic", and said the nation should instead rely on recharging car and van batteries at home or at work.
(Thanks to Brian at electriccarsUK@yahoogroups.com for pointing me at this.)

I don't know what to think right now. Will have to read them both carefully.

Also reported here http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 05593.html

Must admit I didnt know where the Gov was going to find the money for all this matched funding when they keep going on about getting rid of folks.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “Hot off the press....”