The AA's standpoint on Green vehicles

Got a hot news story concerning EV's, be it on the TV, Radio or seen it in the press, then share it with us here.
aminorjourney

The AA's standpoint on Green vehicles

Postby aminorjourney » Thu May 31, 2007 9:27 pm

This is the discussion topic to news that the AA are recommending people to steer clear of green technologies until Fuel cells become available.

What do you think? Is the AA another company being brought off by Hydrogen promises or do they have an axe to grind against green vehicles which are easy to maintain?

The news post can be found here
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu May 31, 2007 9:48 pm

Fantastic news 8)

The AA can keep this up in my book, means more EV's for me :lol:

I think the AA were just bored today and felt like making a statement so they got some free advertising :roll:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

aembleton

Postby aembleton » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:11 am

I'd have thought they could make a killing out of mobile battery top-ups. So, if your EV ran out of power on the road; they could drive over to you, start a generator and charge up your EV.

floydster
Site Staff

Re: The AA's standpoint on Green vehicles

Postby floydster » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:57 am

aminorjourney wrote:or do they have an axe to grind against green vehicles which are easy to maintain?

We wouldn't really need the AA, there's nothing to break in an EV. Anyway, the RAC's better :)

Floydster
I know I'm in my own world - it's OK, they know me here.

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:59 am

Well, I've had the AA come out about six months ago when I was concerned my front wheel was binding. The guy didn't really want to deal with my car, so 'll probably be writing to them later and saying "Know what?"
Last edited by aminorjourney on Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:08 am

Why does that not surprise me :lol:

I cant wait to call out the RAC ( thats who I'm with :wink: ) for a flat battery of two :lol:

As you say Rob they could make a killing out of some sort of instant recharge thing.....................

Gives me an idea for when EV's are more mainstream though .....off to register the patent now :lol:

ChrisB

marktime

Postby marktime » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:11 am

I don't normally subscribe to conspiracy theories but this does sound contrived. I heard part of the discussion and the AA spokesperson said that people should wait until the 'new technologies' are better developed!!

Without the early adopters* how on earth are the new technologies going to get better developed?

*I use the phrase 'early adopters' with caution as I know many of you have many years of experience of EV's.

MarkTime
Soft as Graphite, Hard as Diamond, Black as Coal & clear as CO2, It's a Carbon thing!

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:47 pm

Below is an email I received this afternoon from the AA. It appears that the BBC yet again twisted the story and made it appear to be something it was not. The AA were very apologetic and also very keen to forge contacts with us. Apparently they were very distressed to find out that BBC Radio 1 had given this story such a spin.

We had quite a chat and Paul is keen to work with us to promote EV technology and solutions for those whose requirements are met by EVs. He stressed that in no way do the AA feel hybrid and alternative fuels as being invalid but that, given the current market position and cost of alternative fuel vehicles at the moment most people end up choosing conventional fuel vehicles.

Here's a direct quote from the email:

I am attaching a link to the AA’s position. http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/news/biofuels.html

I should like to stress that the AA put nothing out to generate this story (in fact we had been researching for a thoughtful advice piece on this subject). BBC Radio One spoke to my technical expert colleague Vanessa Guyll and they selectively used pieces (from her research) that made their story stack up – as the day went by the BBC reported the report in ever strengthening terms.

As I said we wholeheartedly welcome alternative fuels and vehicles and over the year have supported the need for a variety of incentives to increase uptake.

For the majority of AA members about to purchase a new vehicle the only sensible option may well be one of those in the conventional petrol / diesel power category.

I’ve spoken to Vanessa and she has registered on your web site.

I’m hoping she can forge a link with your organisation and between us we will be very happy to contribute an item to your magazine.

Kind regards.

Paul

Paul Watters
Head of Public Affairs
The Automobile Association
Fanum House
Basing View
Basingstoke
Hampshire
RG21 4EA

Phone: 01256 493491
Fax: 01256 492090
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:25 pm

Very interesting , have we questioned the BBC about this yet ??

If this is media spin then surely the AA should be asking for the BBC for some sort of an apology as it didnt put the AA in very good light with a lot of people ??

ChrisB

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:12 am

I'm not sure Chris. It seems as if they are in the process of doing something along those lines.

I'm actually rather annoyed that the BBC of late seem to have become rather spin-oriented in the way they broadcast. I used to work for them for a while back in the 90s and I'm absolutely shocked how polarised some of the reports have gotten.

Apparently the AA had lots of people complain. I'd actually rung up to tell them where to go as I didn't want Roadside Relay from a company who I thought didn't like alternative fuel vehicles!

It just goes to show that a phone call can sometimes make all the difference.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

Return to “Hot off the press....”