ENOVA 12v Battery Charger

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
esbro

ENOVA 12v Battery Charger

Postby esbro » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:40 pm

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if anyone has used the 12v charger built into the Inverter box of the 90kw Enova controller. Or is this just another item to be discarded ?
The output (marked on the box as +12v) looks to be substantial using a 10mm insulated post. The input goes straight to the IGBT board at 600vdc max.(marked 'charger').
There is also another board marked 8kw inverter with 3 phase output ( this has been isolated on my unit). I'm guessing that this 3 phase is for a chiller unit ??

Thanks in advance...... Steve

stainless

Re: ENOVA 12v Battery Charger

Postby stainless » Mon May 21, 2018 7:01 pm

Hi esbro. Just read your post regarding the Enova system. I am contemplating using the DC to DC 12v charging system to keep the existing vehicle battery topped up via the charging system for the EV battery (230v). Will do a test by connecting rectified mains to it and see what power it can provide. My Enova based inverter using the Damien Maguire /Johannes Heubner driver board is just about ready for testing too so fingers crossed for that. All the best. Peter

esbro

Postby esbro » Tue May 22, 2018 9:09 am

Hi Peter, thanks for your reply.
I too have just received the Johannes Heuber kit and will be getting on with it shortly. My current task is making a new heat sink plate, half the length of the original, but using most of the inverter parts.
The 12v charger has an interlock circuit (2 thin white wires) which connect in series to several other bits - current sensors on battery input / inverter output and, as far as I can see, from the motor temp sensor. I have one more on the 3 ph 8kw inverter output socket ( used for a chiller I believe), but because mine was never used, there is a shorting wire in the blanking plug to complete the circuit. From this I think the interlock wires should be connected together at the charger board to make it work. I'm not sure if there is a CAN setup as well.
Good luck with your experiments - it seems a shame to dump this charger, as it looks quite powerful. Will look forward to your next post.
Cheers,,,,,, Steve

stainless

Postby stainless » Tue May 22, 2018 3:57 pm

Hi Steve. I am using Damien Maguires driver pcb which has the Johannes Heubner micro board fitted, is that the same way you are working or are you making your own driver board? Damien is selling off bare driver baords cheap now, 50 Euros if I remember, check his website EVBMW. Basically only need the power stuff from the Enova inverter, the rest of the Enova boards are getting closer to the bin :-) I finally settled on an air cooled heatsink due to saving on water cooling parts, pump, hoses, radiator, etc. Plus the Winter weather making it a nervous time seeing if the antifreeze is up to spec. Heatsink is a monster, wasnt too expensive either, hopefully I can attach a pic for you. Was thinking about the 8Kw 3ph inverter too. Again doesnt seem to have been used as my system came with a 3ph plug for it which had never been wired. My first thought was power steering pump ? Would be interesting to know if it was a chiller or otherwise. TTFN. Peter
Attachments
IMG_0352.JPG
3ph Inverter near completion.
IMG_0352.JPG (124.82 KiB) Viewed 2 times
IMG_0333.JPG
3ph Inverter power stage.
IMG_0333.JPG (140.48 KiB) Viewed 2 times
IMG_0255.JPG
Damien Maguire / Johannes Heubner driver pcb.
IMG_0255.JPG (161.57 KiB) Viewed 2 times

Return to “All things battery related”