Battery charging question.

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
eddieb

Battery charging question.

Postby eddieb » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:45 am

I am asking this question because I believe that I might have overcharged my batteries i.e ruined them? Reason for asking: The Diagnostic light flashes continuously after a one mile of travel. The book doesn't have a continuous flashing solution although a single flash indicates low battery charge.

I have a small mobility scooter which is commonly known as a Boot scooter. It has a 12v 15ah battery and is charged with an off board charger which has a DC output of 24v/1.8a max. When I first got the scooter ( it was a demo model and in showroom condition with a 12v 12ah battery which I replaced ) I followed the charging instructions as per the book. A short while later after a run to the shops ( round trip of 1.6 miles, I checked the distance with my cycle computer ) I removed the battery and connected the charger and went to do something , shortly afterwards I noticed the light on the charger had change from Red to Green. I realised that this was far to soon for it to be charged, I then placed my left hand on the battery box handle and using my right hand wiggled the XLR connector at which time the light changed to Red. I lightly wedged the XLR connector in position so as I didn't have to stand holding it. The Red light stayed on for a further 38 minutes. The next time I used the scooter it seemed to run a lot smoother and quieter.
Under this charging regime the battery takes approx three hours to charge.
So to my question, have I ruined the batteries.

The batteries were two months old when purchased. According to the manufacturers specs the scooter should travel 9.4 miles on new batteries with a riders weight of 12 stone. I weigh 13 stone.

Return to “All things battery related”