Change connector type from 1 to 2 on Mercedes B ElectricDrive..??

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
Peter1312

Change connector type from 1 to 2 on Mercedes B ElectricDrive..??

Postby Peter1312 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:14 pm

Hi everyone

I have just bought a new Mercedes-Benz B ElectricDrive from a small car dealer in Stuttgart (Germany) 'US version with type 1 connector' at a very reasonable price and would like to know if it's possible to convert the connector to the european type 2 version. The reason why I would like to change connector type is to increase speed when charging. When I connect my car to a public charger here in Copenhagen the charger thinks my car is a Nissan Leaf and will only charge at 3,7 kW and not 11 kW.

Have asked at my local Mercedes-Benz garage but they could not give me an answer so hopefully someone in this forum are able to help. My understanding is that the electronic in the car is the same but Mercedes offers 2 different connector types depending on the marked so if I'm lucky it should be possible to change connector type..:-)

Best regards
Peter

skooler

Re: Change connector type from 1 to 2 on Mercedes B ElectricDrive..??

Postby skooler » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:30 pm

Physically changing the connector is no issue whatsoever. Let me know if you need someone to do it for you.

In terms of charge time/power. The charge point does not know what car is connected to it. the Chargepoint simply 'advertises' what current it is capable of and then the car charges at or below this current.

Ther on board charger will likely be the bottleneck, assuming it is designed for the US market then it is unlikely to be 3 phase and therefore there is little advantage in changing the socket. if it is a 3 phase charger then it's definitely worth trying!
Posts by Mike Schooling
Director and tech lead at indra.co.uk

Mazda RX8, Soliton Jr, 24KWH Sinopoly LiFePO4, Kostov 11alpha
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/sh ... 61556.html

Return to “All things battery related”