V2G

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
Grumpy-b

V2G

Postby Grumpy-b » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:16 pm

The University of Delaware has recently pushed a report on the use of V2G (Vehicle to grid) where the EV is used as a power source to help the utility companies balance out their power usage and availability.
Delaware are promoting it as a way for EV owners to make money from their cars, and in doing so helping the utilities to meet their peak demands. I see it as a way of not having my car available to me when I need it, and a way of decreasing my Battery pack life, while propping up the utilities who are under investing.
There is no doubt that the Electricity suppliers are having issues, and the Last Government knew that in around 2008 from an Arup report they commissioned. With Nuclear going off line due to age more coal and gas will be required to meet the power needs through to the early 20s when the next generation of Nuclear stations start to come on line. Our Grid is also in need of upgrading, or alternative ways of meeting demand are provided. Its much worse in the US where the Grid is less important , but local power companies are more important (Just like the Simsons and Mr Burns Nuclear station).
There have been some trials of containers stuffed with Lithium cells, and large inverters on the ends of the grid arms, where peak demand can be hard to deal with. These are charged at low demand and come instantly on line as demand peaks. They can also be used to balance out solar or wind power generation.
Personally I like the idea of such a unit at a domestic level, allowing me to use solar or wind created power when I need it.
What do people think of V2G

Grumpy_b

timpootle

Re: V2G

Postby timpootle » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:43 pm

I think V2G is a very good technology that deserves wider implementation and integration.

Yes you need to set limits on how much energy has been robbed from your pack, in case you need to drive away unexpectedly; Yes it will rob cycle life from your pack, which must be recognised and compensated for. But I would like to see solar panels on the roof of every workplace (where the car is parked during daylight), and the fully charged car driving home to power the big load in the evening (kettle, oven, etc.). Questions of payment, metering etc are difficult but not insurmountable, surely?

I am keen that a standard connection and communication protocol be found quickly before the proliferation happens, if we are not too late. I have no idea how to achieve this except perhaps use a system that already works (Nissan LEAF2HOME??)

In my house I have a 5 year old 'smart meter' (1 gas, 1 electric) which gives a signal to a proprietary indicator with traffic light signals (red for anything above 3kW!) but which fails to communicate with the 1-year old British Gas 'Hive' smart energy system (scrambled zigbee, as far as I can tell). This is not smart enough, in my book.

smart-meter-and-display-web.jpg
picture from http://newoccupier.com/smart-meters-coming-uks-30-million-homes/
smart-meter-and-display-web.jpg (16.23 KiB) Viewed 25976 times
Tim Crumpton

granada203028

Re: V2G

Postby granada203028 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:51 pm

Long term it may have merit when batteries are routinely larger and cheaper but at the moment they are too precious.

Surely grid support is better served by large lead acid batteries, where size and weight are not of much consequence. There are other technologies such as Vanadium Redox systems etc.

Utilities could do more to encourage electric vehicle charging at non peak times. For me economy 7 is not lucrative enough because they substantially put up the price during the day. So I make sure I always charge at 6pm on dark winters evenings :).

Return to “All things battery related”