AXIAM CITY BATTERIES

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
malcolm mclean

AXIAM CITY BATTERIES

Postby malcolm mclean » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:16 pm

Does anyone know where I can get a set of batteries at a reasonable price for A mega city car. Have had the charger replaced but It seems the car needs new batteries too! I reckon i was had with this car but if I can not get some batteries for a reasonable price I will bin the car. Pity though as it has low milage. I read on a old post here that Powersonic Ps121000 100 AH may do the job . Is that correct?. M

skooler

Re: AXIAM CITY BATTERIES

Postby skooler » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:18 pm

malcolm mclean wrote:Does anyone know where I can get a set of batteries at a reasonable price for A mega city car. Have had the charger replaced but It seems the car needs new batteries too! I reckon i was had with this car but if I can not get some batteries for a reasonable price I will bin the car. Pity though as it has low milage. I read on a old post here that Powersonic Ps121000 100 AH may do the job . Is that correct?. M

Do you know if the charger is setup for Lead or lithium?

If Lithium then my company should be able to help. if lead then happy to point you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Mike
Posts by Mike Schooling
Director and tech lead at indra.co.uk

Mazda RX8, Soliton Jr, 24KWH Sinopoly LiFePO4, Kostov 11alpha
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/sh ... 61556.html

Rory166

Postby Rory166 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:38 pm

Unfortunately continuing to replace lead batteries makes little sense due to their short life. Lithium although more expensive is much better value through lasting aprox 10 times as long.

The charger need not be such an issue, I know many instances where a charger supplied for lead use has been sucessful for lithium. This is achieved in a number of ways. Adjusting the final charge voltage may be possible. The bms may be given control of the charger power. Both these methods are used in my seicento conversion.

The issue of economics will have a bearing. It is hardly worth paying many thousands for batteries for a vehicle which will never perform at the level of more recent products. This is amplified by the recent tendancy for manufacturers to pre-register cars and then sell them at much below the list price. Currently a Peuget ION can be had, registered in 2011 but hardly used, for about 8k. Or a 2013 Leaf for 13.5k.

Rory
Electric Seicento conversion, Leaf

malcolm mclean

Postby malcolm mclean » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:29 am

Thankyou both for replying. Yes the car is lead acid at present. I dont have the money to upgrade to lithium.

Lucas LSC85-12v look to be a option. I see some of the members have used them on other vehicles. 85a/h deepcycle and about the right size. Does anyone have any information about them or similar?

skooler

Postby skooler » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:26 am

malcolm mclean wrote:Thankyou both for replying. Yes the car is lead acid at present. I dont have the money to upgrade to lithium.

Lucas LSC85-12v look to be a option. I see some of the members have used them on other vehicles. 85a/h deepcycle and about the right size. Does anyone have any information about them or similar?

See if you can find out what physical size they are (i.e. DC27, DC29, DC31 etc).... There will be plenty of alternatives at better prices.

As far as lead acid goes, Trojan are more or less the best bang for buck.

Battery Megastore are a good bunch to deal with. You can normally negotiate a substantial discount with them when ordering a large batch.

http://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/produ ... Industrial

Personal experience tells me you should stay away from leisure (caravan) batteries as they are not suited to high discharge rates.

Cheers,

Mike
Posts by Mike Schooling
Director and tech lead at indra.co.uk

Mazda RX8, Soliton Jr, 24KWH Sinopoly LiFePO4, Kostov 11alpha
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/sh ... 61556.html

Return to “All things battery related”