Ni-cads

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
p.howroyd

Ni-cads

Postby p.howroyd » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi, Can any of you guys can give me some info on Ni-cads,I would like to chat to some one who has used them .

Pete

timpootle

Re: Ni-cads

Postby timpootle » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:52 pm

Hello Pete. You will have to give us more to go on than that. You have posted this in the "For Sale" section, but your post doesn't look like you are selling anything (I can move the whole thread for you if needed.)

The Berlingo has SAFT STM wet NiCads fitted as standard. These are becoming unavailable as cadmium is illegal to sell in Europe (or some such story). What are you trying to power, and what sort of cells did you have in mind?
Tim Crumpton

p.howroyd

Postby p.howroyd » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:22 pm

Hi Tim, I am thinking of using Nicads to power my first EV rather than lead acid batts, thinking of 120-150 volts at aprox 200Ah.
I need to know the availabiliy of them /cost/weight and sizes before i choose the correct Motor to use.
And yes would you place the request in the correct place ( not to familiart with your site yet.
Cheers Pete

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:36 pm

Whoosh! Here we are in "All things battery related". Good luck finding NiCads. Aircraft use them, but they are otherwise difficult to buy.
Tim Crumpton

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:48 pm

p.howroyd wrote:I need to know the availabiliy of them

Effectivly nil. The only realistic alternative to lead acid at the moment for a pack of that size would be one of the many lithium cells on the market.
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:01 pm

SAFT still make market and seel the STM series. Recently sold a load to a California transit system, and a Swiss transit system. SO theycan still be got. Just at a huge cost.

Grumpy-b

Return to “All things battery related”