Anyone got any experience of NUMAX CXV batteries?

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
MB

Anyone got any experience of NUMAX CXV batteries?

Postby MB » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Has anyone got any experience of NUMAX CXV batteries with electric vehicles? I'm attracted to them because they are a sealed battery, offer up to 1,000 CCA and are available at competitive prices.

I'm specifically interested in the NUMAX CXV31MF 110ah battery. The vehicle I want to use them in will draw a peak of 365 amps and a continuous output of between 70-85 amps.

Any thoughts?
My new book is out: The 2011 Electric Car Guide is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.

ChrisB

Re: Anyone got any experience of NUMAX CXV batteries?

Postby ChrisB » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:27 pm

mmmmm personally I dont think your going to get much life from them.

They appear to only have a lifecycle of 500 cycles so there not going to break any cycle records, and looking at the light weight specs they seem to be rated at the C20 rate so again no major EV awards are going to be won here either. From my own limited experience of lead acids I wouldnt touch anything that wont show a C5 rating.

There cheapish though, at the end of the day you pays ya money and takes your choice.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

subevo

Postby subevo » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:54 pm

only comments are 86ah not very powerful. my daewoo matiz had 6 off 130ah which was just adequate for a 9mile trip.also 1000cca is for starting purposes and is of no use to us.each of my batteries weighed 30kilos.

what are your plans for using them.must admit to being dissapointed with lead acid.looking for li-ion now as only got a year out of mine.

edited to say .sorry for some reason i said 86ah .113ah is a bit better.

just as a note my car weighed 850kilos for comparison purposes.
Last edited by subevo on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

MB

Postby MB » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:04 pm

Well, the CVX batteries are available as 113Ah batteries as well as the smaller sizes. 500 cycles isn't a lot, but it isn't the worst either. Although CCA is for cold cranking, it is also a useful figure for peak drain as typically the motors only need 5-8 seconds of peak drain - depending on how you use them. A fair comment about the lack of a C5 rating though.

The project is for a small, lightweight home built three wheeler, similar in style to a 30s Morgan: a bit of fun for the weekend. I'm planning to run the whole thing at 48 volts and it will probably only go out a couple of dozen times a year (so by my reckoning, 500 cycles should last me about twenty years :lol: ). I'm expecting a top speed of around 50mph and I'm aiming at a range of around 20 miles or so.
My new book is out: The 2011 Electric Car Guide is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:22 pm

Yeah they should do that sort of job, just wouldnt expect them to deliver day in day out power, they would fade pretty quick I recon.

ChrisB

duxuk

Postby duxuk » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:51 pm

Your trike project sounds similar to mine. I'm nearly on the road. There is some info on my Kirk EV (or Sparky) on EVAlbum. I need 27 miles to get to work where I will charge up for the return, so I went for 6*110AH batteries. The 110Ah is, of course, the C20 rate. The manufacturer, Elecsol, made me a special pack with a C1 of 62AH. The C1 would normally have only been 47Ah. I have not yet done any deep dicharges, assesed range or lifespan, but the compay seemed quite confident and only charged £600 including delivery. The batteries were redesigned about a year ago so will hopefully be better than the old designs which have received mixed reviews. You may note though, that dissatisfied users shout very loudly, whilst satisfied users usually remain silent.

Andrew.

subevo

Postby subevo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:22 pm

was going to get elecsol batteries last year but as you say there seems to be a lot of unhappy users. but good luck.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:07 pm

I'll be interested in how you get on with the Elecsols duxuk.
I had a set of 110ah set in my Fiesta and while they were OK, and appeared to be good for 50ah @ C1 they didnt really cut the mustard to be honest, but then they where half the cost of true traction batteries like Trojans or Chlorides.
In my view they make for great for leisure batteries but not really suitable for EV use, as you say I hope they have sorted te problems out, mainly the QA as the quality seemed very vairable in the old units.

ChrisB

Gareth Covell

Postby Gareth Covell » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:49 am

I have fitted four numax XV31MF 113ah batteries to my 48v city-el.
They cost me £320 and give a range of aprox 30 to 40 miles and 40mph top speed. They are now 8 months old and have given me 450 miles so far. There does seem to be a small capacity loss, maybe 10%.
My city-el has a max. discharge current of just 120 amps, if it were much more than this I don't think they would last too long.
I phoned Manbat who are the distributors for numax, but they could not give me any idea as to the cycle life.
500 cycles is just a figure that some retailers make up! :shock:
1999 City-el

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:53 pm

Gareth Covell wrote:I have fitted four numax XV31MF 113ah batteries to my 48v city-el.
They cost me £320 and give a range of aprox 30 to 40 miles and 40mph top speed. They are now 8 months old and have given me 450 miles so far. There does seem to be a small capacity loss, maybe 10%.
My city-el has a max. discharge current of just 120 amps, if it were much more than this I don't think they would last too long.
I phoned Manbat who are the distributors for numax, but they could not give me any idea as to the cycle life.
500 cycles is just a figure that some retailers make up! :shock:

mmmm that they read on a wikki somewhere I expect :roll: :lol: , worrying that the distibutors couldnt give you a lifecycle figure ???

From the figures you've given on those 113ah ones they sound very similar to any other mid priced leisure units, I think your right with the fact any more discharge amps and they would fade away in doublequick time

ChrisB

Return to “All things battery related”