Lithium Battery advice, please ? forwarded by Ed...

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
ex925

Lithium Battery advice, please ? forwarded by Ed...

Postby ex925 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:59 am

BVS Member, Trevor Charlton wrote:
> Hi Ed
> At 2009 Electrathon a BV member turned up with a Lotus packed
> with Li-ion batteries. Can you or any member put me in touch
> with him. I would like to find out more about source and supply
> of batteries. Trying to build BV for 2010 Electathon.
> --Regards Trevor Charlton

Events-man Ed writes in reply:
This is the sort of news that we love to hear, building a BV for the Electrathon
I have copied this to all the BVS people who might be able to help
Firstly to Mary, our secretary, and to Rob, our membership secretary, to see if we can contact Russ Seville and ask him if it is ok for you to contact him
Secondly to our technical expert on the committee, Paul, and to as many others as I could think of who have experience with Lithium batteries
Thirdly I will now copy the main content of this message onto the forum in the battery technology section, used by members with many kinds of experience

Last of all is my limited experience of a lithium battery, a Ping battery-pack, in an electric bicycle
This is a 36v 20ah pack with a built-in BMS and a matched 240v.ac/36v.dc charger, at £350GBP inc. shipping
Initially there was very limited power and range, but it was improving with use, sort of running-in.
Twenty discharge / re-charge cycles later, the well-worn EAPC motor had a mechanical failure, possibly bearings, not yet repaired
At that point, I estimate that power had risen to about 3/4 of the equivalent of the 36v.dc 22ah SLA pack it replaced
Range had risen to a little more than that of the SLAs on mixed terrain, of around 20 miles with about a third at 1 in 10 gradient, and a 1/2 mile at 1 in 6, BUT.....
With limited human assistance from me, and provided the throttle was used conservatively when starting from rest, OTHERWISE....
Two to ten minutes wait until the BMS protection circuit allowed re-start

(I would love to know if that experience is in any way representative of Lithium batteries in general ?)

HTH, and please may we have some info on your BV project?

All the best, from Ed. Gordon in Plymouth

timpootle

Re: Lithium Battery advice, please ? forwarded by Ed...

Postby timpootle » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:13 pm

ex925 wrote:BVS Member, Trevor Charlton wrote:
> Hi Ed
> At 2009 Electrathon a BV member turned up with a Lotus packed
> with Li-ion batteries. Can you or any member put me in touch
> with him. I would like to find out more about source and supply
> of batteries. Trying to build BV for 2010 Electathon.
> --Regards Trevor Charlton

Russ is not a BVS member - yet. His contact details are publicly available at http://evalbum.com/1454

He bought his 40Ah HiPower LiFePO4 cells from the same place as me and Peter Perkins and Greg Fordyce :-
Dave Cowperthwaite
TYC/TRACK UK LTD
213 Fylde Road
Churchtown
Southport
Merseyside
PR9 9YB

Email: d-cowperthwaite@lineone.net

I bought the same BMS system as Russ for my long-range Berlingo project. Russ has found a smaller display for it, and tested it for me when it arrived in the country. A jolly fine chap.
Tim Crumpton

Return to “All things battery related”