how to improve my range???

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
retepsnikrep

Re: how to improve my range???

Postby retepsnikrep » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:52 pm

Use a big thick short charging lead no point using the extension lead as a heater!

Pump tyres up very hard and/or get rid of any low profile wide tyres and fit the skinniest you can find. Consider changing rims to acheive this and even get an eco tyre if you can find one.

Keep speed below 40mph if possible.

Gearbox oil good call I used some really thin oil in the diff of my electric van.

Tyres make a hell of a difference and wide tyres with non zero tracking could easily cost you 25% of your range.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:28 pm

EV_dub wrote:............ and i managed 25 miles total and just limped home.....

You really dont want to go near the "just limped home" area if you want to maximise your battery life.

Once your at the point of noticeable performance drop off then they are pretty much gone and discharging below this will generally end up with shortening the lifespan of the batteries.

I suspect with careful driving and a decent fully charged pack you will just get 30-35miles but the down side is you will very soon find the batteries will age prematurely and you'll get cells dieing :( my advice to get the most from them would be not to take them down lower than to the point when you notice any downward turn in performance, this I suspect will be around the 20mile mark.

As others have said look at everything you can do to keep that discharge current to a minium, with tyre pressures, oils and anything that might add to wind resistance.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

EV_dub

Postby EV_dub » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:37 pm

Today's test drive went really well, a full charge from the newly pragrammed charger. I got 29 miles. I was a little concerned to start with as the final charged voltage was 127v compared to 133v before.
No wonder the extension lead was getting hot, the charger is pulling 22amps and before only 16amps!

Hopefully after a few cycles I can get more out of the batteries. I was mostly driving between 40-55mph occasionally 60mph although there are loads of long hills around devon which doesn't help. I am using the controller without any regen at the moment as The ADC motor isnt really suitable for high speed regening. Perhaps I will turn it on on a low setting.

My commute to work is 30miles, so I really need to be getting quite a lot more range, I don't want to strain the batteries to much, when I start driving to work.
Its a shame I cant use the zapi controller on 144volts. It would be much easier to keep the amps down with a few more volts.

After a few minutes the final discharged voltage was 114volts it think it was down to 80%dod

I also blocked the front grill, perhaps that helped a little.
Last edited by EV_dub on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1993 Veedub Golf, 156v, 1200A, 150ah's

EV_dub

Postby EV_dub » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:19 pm

retepsnikrep wrote:Use a big thick short charging lead no point using the extension lead as a heater!

Pump tyres up very hard and/or get rid of any low profile wide tyres and fit the skinniest you can find. Consider changing rims to acheive this and even get an eco tyre if you can find one.

Keep speed below 40mph if possible.

Gearbox oil good call I used some really thin oil in the diff of my electric van.

Tyres make a hell of a difference and wide tyres with non zero tracking could easily cost you 25% of your range.

Thanks for the tips. I am sure they would make a big difference

My only issue is I want this car to be more conventional.

Thinner oils in the gear box will increase wear and the box will be already spinning up at excessive RPM

Also skinny wheels/tyres will reduce handling and look a bit daft on my low rider golf.

I know driving at 40mph will greatly increase range, but equally I dont want to hold up everyone and give electric cars a bad name.

I intended this car to be practical and keeping up with the traffic flow.

Perhaps I will have to change the spec to achieve what I need.

I will definetly look into getting the tracking adjusted, and I have already inflated the types up to 36psi which has helped and isnt to harsh ride. Might take them up the 40PSI next.

Regards
Dave

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:22 pm

EV_dub wrote:
My commute to work is 30miles, so I really need to be getting quite a lot more range, I don't want to strain the batteries to much, when I start driving to work..

I think you'll get that, but I'll be interested to see how you get on with the actual lifespan of the batteries.

I do fear for the batteries somewhat with you generally hooking 100amps out of them on a continual baises.

ChrisB

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:28 pm

EV_dub wrote:[I know driving at 40mph will greatly increase range, but equally I dont want to hold up everyone and give electric cars a bad name.

I applaud you for taking this tact tic, one of my REAL gripes is the fact that many EV's currently available can only manage a lowly 40mph max, and are happier at 30mph, fine for inner city stuff, but useless else where in my book.

I am similar, a EV needs to be as normal as possible, in my book if the average joe cant tell the difference then its a winner, one reason I love the berlingo 8)

ChrisB

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:06 am

EV_dub wrote:No wonder the extension lead was getting hot, the charger is pulling 22amps and before only 16amps!

What have you got your charger plugged into??! 22 amps should have tripped a fuse/circuit breaker on a 16A supply, surely?
Tim Crumpton

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:55 pm

EV_dub wrote:My commute to work is 30miles, so I really need to be getting quite a lot more range, I don't want to strain the batteries to much, when I start driving to work.

Is that one way or round trip? If 30 miles is the round trip, then you need to convince your employer to let you charge at work.
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

EV_dub

Postby EV_dub » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:32 pm

timpootle wrote:
EV_dub wrote:No wonder the extension lead was getting hot, the charger is pulling 22amps and before only 16amps!

What have you got your charger plugged into??! 22 amps should have tripped a fuse/circuit breaker on a 16A supply, surely?

Got it slightly wrong:

Its 19amps input at 230v and 22amps 120v output.

Only blown one 13amp fuse but seems ok now and my RCD hasnt complained yet.

EV_dub

Postby EV_dub » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:36 pm

GregsGarage wrote:
EV_dub wrote:My commute to work is 30miles, so I really need to be getting quite a lot more range, I don't want to strain the batteries to much, when I start driving to work.

Is that one way or round trip? If 30 miles is the round trip, then you need to convince your employer to let you charge at work.

30 miles one way i'm affraid! a recharge is essential. I work 12hrs in a day, so plenty of recharge time!

Return to “All things battery related”