newbie questions

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
Chris Wood

newbie questions

Postby Chris Wood » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:31 pm

Hi all, new to the forum, am a student at Cov Uni doing a dissertation on electric motorsport and was just looking for some info on the basics of batteries really!

I've been reading about Lithium ions all over the place, I take it these are the industry standard? also heard about the high prices too!

but how do you decide how many packs/cells you need in comparison to the range you can get out of them?

what about placement within the vehicle? does this affect the handling in anyway? (seen Top Gear with the Tesla) would the power loss be noticeable if the batteries were placed at the end of the car with the motor at the other compared to right next to it?

heard about thundersky batteries, are there any other manufacturers i should be researching?

how exactly do you match the batteries to the rated motor?

and finally! Been onto sites like Netgain but the motors are a little too powerful for what i need - are there any other companies making motors that would be suitable for lightweight motocross bikes?

Many thanks! and sorry for all the questions :D

ChrisB

Re: newbie questions

Postby ChrisB » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:01 am

Chris Wood wrote:and finally! Been onto sites like Netgain but the motors are a little too powerful for what i need - are there any other companies making motors that would be suitable for lightweight motocross bikes?

You could try an Lynch motor, they are flat pan cake types, very light and pretty powerful, I had two in my fiesta and you could almost hold both in one hand :shock: that gave me 20hp nominal 8)

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

subevo

Postby subevo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:59 pm

thunderstruck in the usa use D&Dmotors in their motorcycle conversions

ChopperMan

Postby ChopperMan » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:03 pm

Hi Chris,

I'm part way through converting a HONDA CR85 to electric. I'm using a LEM200, see www.lmcltd.net, at 36V (I only want a 25 to 30mph top speed) with a 400A (because I want fast acceleration) Kelly controller. The batteries will be a 17kg 1kWh LiFeBATT LiFePO4 battery pack, 600A peak 300A continuously rated.

Once you have set your performce requirements, top speed, acceleration and run time, picking the nessesary parts is much simpler. Of course budget is very important too.

Cheers,

Ian
Electric chopper ebike with PUMA motor (1.2kW) and 36V 20Ah LiFePO4 batteries. 23 mph & 20 mile range with no peddling (Sorry, what are peddles for?).

Return to “All things battery related”