Convincing work to allow me to charge

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Grumpy-b wrote:.......... and insisted that the Berlingo was PAT tested (well in reality the lead and power usage device) Aparently strictly speaking the plug in vehicle falls outside the Portable Apliance Testing guidance, so even thats questionable.

Love to see them find the berlingo in the "IEE Code of Practice for In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment " :lol:

But then again the the vehicle is "portable" (its got wheels on) :lol:

Not quite sure which part of the Code of Practice it would come under mind you, I would say that I would be vary cautious of letting some PAT testers anywhere near a Berlingo, I wouldnt like to say if the ECU was designed for the insulation test amongst others. I'd like to think it was but who knows ?

I'd personally like to know that the body of the vehicle is earthed mind you when its connected to the mains.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Cogito

Postby Cogito » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:15 pm

Phew, what a bunch of meanies not letting you charge a scooter.

I live in Norway and an agreement with an electicity producer (hydro electric) has garanteed that all members of the national EV club charge with renewable energy and limits this to 18000kw. This helps to dispel the myth that EVs use the dirtiest power available. Hostile individuals even claim the same for Norway where at least 90% of power is from renewables. They think that they are so clever when they present their calculations!

Try to approach an El board that has a substantial amount of green electricity and see if they will issue similar sertificates for EV users. These can be waved in the face of your boss!

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:00 pm

Like most PAT testing Ive seen they only test the cables where they unplug. A totalally pointles exercise. But then, new kit is supposed to get a temporaray tag at our place, however our Facilities woman refuses to give one if shes hasnt seen the kit unpacked, to show its new!! So she wont give one so you cant use a new out of the box piece of PC kit even though its purchased through our CIS People and installed by them. Stupidity knows no bounds in the Public sector. Jobsworths abound.

Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:41 pm

Grumpy-b wrote:Like most PAT testing Ive seen they only test the cables where they unplug. A totalally pointles exercise. But then, new kit is supposed to get a temporaray tag at our place, however our Facilities woman refuses to give one if shes hasnt seen the kit unpacked, to show its new!! So she wont give one so you cant use a new out of the box piece of PC kit even though its purchased through our CIS People and installed by them. Stupidity knows no bounds in the Public sector. Jobsworths abound.

Grumpy-b

mmmm EVERYTHING needs testing, leads and applainces and seperately, new stuff needs testing as well, I've failed many a new item striaght out of the box (oh did I mention my company does PAT testing :wink: )

The worst problem are the testers, 99% of the time they are trained monkeys that have done "The course" :roll: and now seem to think they know what they are doing. Most are at best trained sticker applicators and nothing more from what I've found.
I've been in the PAT testing game for 15years now and have tested everything from a £2.99 chinese imported extension lead to a million pound electron scanning microscope :shock: and I'm also a fully fledge 16th edition (soon to do the 17th ) regs electricain and I still dont know how you can become a PAT tester if you do a one day course :roll:

ChrisB

Peter Eggleston

Postby Peter Eggleston » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:34 pm

Have you ever tested a Baby Belling electric cooker? If you have you will know why I ask. If not, I will explain.
Peter

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:08 pm

Not the dreaded BB cooker report :roll: :lol:

Turn it on full bore for 20mins or so before you test it :wink:

As I said there aint much I havent tested in my time :)

ChrisB

subevo

Postby subevo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:38 pm

im in the same position.ive approached some senior managers who dont see a problem but the temp acting general manager isnt interested.(soon to be replaced)our company has a newsletter and ive written an article and hope to get it in for the next issue.im hoping this raises the electric cars profile and aids in getting permission to plug in.also we do have an environmental policy and a group enviromental manager based at another site.i will keep at it until i get approval.no-one seems to want to say yes.i work for united biscuits i.e. mcvities.anybody work for a large company so i can mention it.i.e. such and such have allowed their employees to plug in so why cant we?as a last resort i will buy a generator.

Return to “All things battery related”