Silicone Batteries

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
ChrisB

Silicone Batteries

Postby ChrisB » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:57 pm

This is from another post but thought I'd repeat it here

I'd never heard of silicone batts but after a short google search came up with this

http://www.zpenergy.com/modules.php?nam ... e&sid=1677

Quite interesting :idea:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

MB

Postby MB » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:01 pm

Silicone Gel batteries have been around for a little while now. They're main applications so far have been in electric bikes and electric motorbikes: the Lexola electric mopeds (distributed by Urban Mover - www.urbanmover.com) use Silicone Gel batteries as opposed to Lead Acids.

They're really an alternative to lead acid batteries. Their biggest benefits are they can be deep discharged better than lead acid, cope at lower temperatures and can be recharged much faster - Lexola's 'fast charge' takes around one hour to complete, which is pretty impressive stuff.

I've been playing with a set recently. Not for an electric vehicle, but for use in a vending machine. I've been very impressed with their low temperature performance.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:00 pm

mmm very interesting Mike, whats the plan having them in vending machines ??

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

anachrocomputer

Postby anachrocomputer » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:56 am

The link with vending machines is interesting! I went to a job interview a few years ago with a company in Bristol that makes parking meters. I saw the production line and got a bit of a technical description of how the meters worked. The type that are currently in use in Bristol (supplied by the company) are powered by a lead-acid gel battery. The actual metering and ticket printing is done by a little Z80 microprocessor board. The whole battery pack is swapped out by the same van/crew who collect the money. This makes sense for a machine where (a) you don't want to have to dig up the street for a power supply cable and (b) you have to visit the thing anyway to collect the money from the coin-box. Presumably they take the batteries back to a depot for re-charging.

I suppose the same principle applies to the vending machines.
1994 Suzuki Cappuccino
1992 Mini-El electric bubblecar

MB

Postby MB » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:09 pm

Well, this particular 'vending machine' is a parcel vending machine.

I work for a company that delivers parcels. But rather than delivering them to homes during the day when nobody is at home, we deliver them to our network of parcel vending machines, so that people can pick up their parcels when it suits them.

Return to “All things battery related”