Does it have to go on the roof ??

Do you make your own power ? be it Solar or Wind. Then this is a place for all home energy chat.
ChrisB

Does it have to go on the roof ??

Postby ChrisB » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:13 pm

After having a failed application for a feed in system, apparently due to my roof being "too difficult" :roll: (read in to that as "we wont make a quick buck here" by the installers) it got me wondering if theres actually any restrictions about it having to go on your roof :?

OK everyone advertises the fact it goes on the roof but does it actually have to ??

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Grumpy-b

Re: Does it have to go on the roof ??

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:31 pm

No since commercial installations that also get the same feed in tarrif are being put up as stand alone setups. Like the one at Eviss farm in Glastonbury.
Its just easier from an installers point of view. No structure to support the kit and cabling generally in side the house. No cabinet costs for the inverter etc. More money for the installers.

I personally view these people with the same distain as Vacuum cleane sales men, sorry home Filter systems, and double glazing salesmen.

I have seen the outputs from a set installedon our roof at work, and its big set up probably twice what is going on most houses, but nowhere near the output claimed.

Grumpy-b

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:49 pm

I've got a vacuum tube water heating system on my 40 deg. roof facing SE. The difference between a bright day, (35C max at the tank) and high Sunshine, (++60C by mid morning/noon) is very notable.

They experiment with concentrating PV cells with reflectors which save big money but will exacerbate the difference between direct and indirect light.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:12 pm

Grumpy-b wrote:No since commercial installations that also get the same feed in tarrif are being put up as stand alone setups. Like the one at Eviss farm in Glastonbury.
Its just easier from an installers point of view. No structure to support the kit and cabling generally in side the house. No cabinet costs for the inverter etc. More money for the installers.

I personally view these people with the same distain as Vacuum cleane sales men, sorry home Filter systems, and double glazing salesmen.

I have seen the outputs from a set installedon our roof at work, and its big set up probably twice what is going on most houses, but nowhere near the output claimed.

Grumpy-b

I thought that was the case, I must admit I do think the install costs are quite scarey when you actually look at the parts cost, ok I know folks have to make a profit.............BUT............

Since actually hearing of a few people who have having FIT installs and how long it took them it almost makes me think its worth me doing the course getting the MCS Approved Installers ticket and then use it to put up my own system, still reckon I'd save 1000's on the install.

But I'm still dissappointed that if the mains fails the whole systems useless as the inverters wont start if they cant see any mains input on them :? so if you get a power cut during the day and the suns out it doesnt matter how many panels you've got the poxy inverters will just say "no" :roll:

ChrisB

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:06 am

To me that is the problem these are a mains use only, you cant use the power when its more use to you.No storage. It wont function if the mains fails. Its all about money and the electricity company getting your carbon credits. aits not about alternative energy, making yourself less relaint on the grid or having something that really benefts you materially. My small system, powers my water solar panels and stores power to run some of my lighting. No big investment but I do get something out of it. ie I get hot water and light at night when I need it. As we regularly get winter powercuts, (It is darkest Suffolk afterall) its been great having some light in the house.
We now have two camps, those who just want to make money from pretending they are doing something green, while being paid by the Government to do it, and others who want to make a real difference, and reduce their own personal impact, and if needs be have some measure of inconvenience. We heat with wood, it takes a lot to get it cut it and store it, but compared to Oil or Propane, its substantially cheaper.

Get the certificate and make some cash before its stopped. The Govt has already stopped the use of the feedin tarrif for new commercial sites, with a limit I think of 50kw output. Its only time before the bubble bursts on the PV panel charade.

Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:16 pm

Grumpy-b wrote:To me that is the problem these are a mains use only, you cant use the power when its more use to you.No storage. It wont function if the mains fails. Its all about money and the electricity company getting your carbon credits. aits not about alternative energy, making yourself less relaint on the grid or having something that really benefts you materially. My small system, powers my water solar panels and stores power to run some of my lighting. No big investment but I do get something out of it. ie I get hot water and light at night when I need it. As we regularly get winter powercuts, (It is darkest Suffolk afterall) its been great having some light in the house.
We now have two camps, those who just want to make money from pretending they are doing something green, while being paid by the Government to do it, and others who want to make a real difference, and reduce their own personal impact, and if needs be have some measure of inconvenience. We heat with wood, it takes a lot to get it cut it and store it, but compared to Oil or Propane, its substantially cheaper.

Get the certificate and make some cash before its stopped. The Govt has already stopped the use of the feedin tarrif for new commercial sites, with a limit I think of 50kw output. Its only time before the bubble bursts on the PV panel charade.

Grumpy-b

Hadnt even thought of the carbon credits side of things :? mmmmmm very cunning

As you say its just a money spinner for the owner and the installers, and very little about being self sufficiant or doing something thats green.

I'm thinking I can put togther a 4kw storage system for 5k less than a similar Feed in system

ChrisB

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:12 am

They call that "feature" which stops your system making main AC when the supply is off as "anti islanding". Supposed to save electricians getting burned or confused when there is supposedly no supply. Also saves you from attempting to supply power to several hundred homes in those times too.

I'm sure there is a way around it by using say a small mains invertor for a car or an uninterruptable psu for a pc. You'll deffo need to have your supply trip off when the outside mains goes down though.

Hot water vacuum tubes are the way to go (before you install PV panels) due to their extreme efficiency and relatively super cheap price:

http://www.solarproject.co.uk

Do you know of any very cheap pv panels? Last I saw was $1.80/watt. :(

Helix4all

Postby Helix4all » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:23 pm

I agree that much benefit is lost if you end up with no power when mains fail - see here:

http://www.sma.de/en/products/backup-sy ... set-s.html

a back up set to meet (with battery storage of course) this very need (I'm told they are very expensive).

Hope I'm not just duplicating info'.

Robin T. (Bristol, UK)

PS - I have seen pictures of a PV system mounted vertically on a house wall.

Return to “Home Energy Area”