Led lighting

Do you make your own power ? be it Solar or Wind. Then this is a place for all home energy chat.
Grumpy-b

Led lighting

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:20 pm

About a year ago I purchased some 1.2w 12v spot bulbs (21 separate Leds) that were billed as being the equivelent of 20w Halogens. They were far from equivalent.
I have now purchased some 3w (3 x 1 Watt leds) and these are superb. The cost via ebay and China was ridiculously low at uner 3 pound delivered.
A slight issue is that normal Dichroics do allow some light out from behind that was reflected from the ceiling, so giving out a general illumination as well. I have added some extra spots to the suspended wire set up I have, so giving a better spread of light than before. The spread of the LED light is less than the Halogen , so that may be an issue for some users. My consumption has moved from 120 watts to 30watts or less. A result.

My original LED bulbs are now doing service on my landing and are powered from a 12v Solar charged source that powers my Water solar panel system. Now I have moved my Kitchen lights to LED these will also be moving to battery power, with a nearby located battery connected to the main store. SO reducing the load drop in usage with a longer cable run.

As a test I have also purchased som LED H4 headlight bulbs and am awaiting their arrival. Every little helps in the EV power usage game.

Grumpy-b

ex925

Re: Led lighting

Postby ex925 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:56 pm

Please could you let us know how the LED headlight bulbs turn out?
I'm building an electric motorcycle, and I think an LED headlight could help, a lot
All the best
Ed

willfromsussex

Re: Led lighting

Postby willfromsussex » Fri May 20, 2016 12:19 am

my home is now fitted out with a 12v lighting circuit , i use mr16 and g4 lamps, they are superb, especially the 5w mr16, i bought them from a UK supplier of bulbs, as LED bulbs vary so much in quality and life expectency I wanted a reputable source.

finding MR16 light fittings is quite hard these days (apart from downlighters)

My PC, router, switch ,external hard drive, phone charger and various other things all run off the 12v. The 12v is supplied from a 10A 48-12v dc converter .

Return to “Home Energy Area”