controllers

General BVS related area
Tom Thomson

controllers

Postby Tom Thomson » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:03 am

How much trouble am I asking for by feeding my 72V controller 84V ?
Tom Thomson

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:10 am

I suppose it depends on the controller , I had a curtis that was nominally rated at 120v but would quite often see 150v when the vehicle had just come off charge, I quered this with curtis and they said it would be fine and if it got too high for the controller the unit wouldnt start anyway and lock out until the voltage dropped to the correct level.
When I asked what voltage this was they didnt appear to know :roll:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:59 am

Like Chris says, it depends on the individual controller. The main capacitors and FETs are usually rated to give some safety margin. The spec sheet for my 72V Alltrax controller says the maximum operating voltage is 90V. Do you have any documentation for your controller or can you ask the manufacturer?

Tom Thomson

controllers

Postby Tom Thomson » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:07 pm

Malcom
I too have an alltrax but mine came without any documentation whatever. When I talked to a "support person" with some connection questions and mentioned that a Curtis which I had purchased earlier came with a 48 page manual he replied "well sir why don't you return the alltrax for a refund and go buy a Curtis" and then he hung up on me. I didn't but in retrospect that was pretty good advice.
tommyt

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:52 pm

Sounds like we might have bought them from the same place...
I didn't get any documentation either, but you can find the manuals here: http://www.alltraxinc.com/Doc_Depot.html

If you have one of the AXE controllers it should be good for 90V. What are you planning?

ChrisB

Re: controllers

Postby ChrisB » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:12 pm

Tom Thomson wrote: When I talked to a "support person" with some connection questions and mentioned that a Curtis which I had purchased earlier came with a 48 page manual he replied "well sir why don't you return the alltrax for a refund and go buy a Curtis" and then he hung up on me. I didn't but in retrospect that was pretty good advice.
tommyt

Well thats put me right off alltrax controllers :( thats not what call the correct way to advertise your product :roll:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Tom Thomson

controllers

Postby Tom Thomson » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:42 am

Malcomb
Thanks for the doc source. I have an AXE 7245 which I purchased thru Bohlinger in Philadelphia (USA). I dealt with a man named Steve Speak who was as helpful as he could be and I have no reservations about buying from him in the future. My problem was with factory support.
I have recently swindled my own brother and ended up with an '82 Porsche 924 which I am now converting to run on 84V. I currently drive a Mitsubishi pickup which is running 72V and I want to use as many bits as possible on the Porsche.

tommyt

qdos

Postby qdos » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:57 am

Looking forward to seeing the Porsche on the road though I'm a Lotus man myself :wink: Though I did get rid of my Lotus and replaced it with a Ginetta which we do keep floating the idea of converting to electric. Where in the world are you located Tom ?

Tom Thomson

controllers

Postby Tom Thomson » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:12 pm

qdos
I live out in the country abt 30 miles south of Indianapolis, Indiana-USA.
tommyt

Return to “General”