Charging from a terraced house

General BVS related area
triumph_plus

Charging from a terraced house

Postby triumph_plus » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:43 pm

I live in a terrace so do not benefit from a driveway to park the EV on.

I get round this by running a cable from an upstairs window, looping it around a cross-member on the lamp-post outside then down to the van.

If I'm forced to park a couple of spaces down then I loop the cable through a V in a handy tree.

Even this though, has caused trouble. A Council official turned up one day and reported that somebody had complained. At first he thought that I had been trailing the cable across the pavement. When I described how I did it he became very sympathetic and said he would come back only if there was another complaint. One year on and I've heard nothing am glad to say.

I've had no problems with this charging method, but it does mean that I can't leave the house whilst charging in case something goes wrong or some errant local youth decides to try and haul the cable down.

Anybody else have complex charing arrangements?

andersonian

No Driveway

Postby andersonian » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:35 pm

We've got the same problem, so we installed a 16A socket on the front wall close to the road and then put the charge lead in a length of that black rubber trunking across the footpath you find when the council is using temporary traffic lights . So far, so good - no complaints yet!

qdos

Postby qdos » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:28 am

Now that sounds a good solution there! Where did you get the trunking, or should I not ask ?

andersonian

Postby andersonian » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:21 pm

Apologies for slow response - I work on a construction site so there's often a few bits lying around! (One less now... :wink: )

piratg

Re: No Driveway

Postby piratg » Wed May 28, 2008 2:22 pm

andersonian wrote:We've got the same problem, so we installed a 16A socket on the front wall close to the road and then put the charge lead in a length of that black rubber trunking across the footpath you find when the council is using temporary traffic lights . So far, so good - no complaints yet!

Is this expensive to do ?

Im partially disabled so not too great at DIY - thanks

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed May 28, 2008 4:46 pm

This might be of use

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12953/Ele ... r-Combi-9m

Not cheap but would do the job quite well, but I dont know about the legalities of it though ???

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

andersonian

Postby andersonian » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:25 pm

The bits cost me about £100 but this was with a trade discount. I have a colleague who is an electrician who i tried to get to do the job but instead he told me what to buy and then to crack on and fit them! I was quite surprised by this as there's a lot or rules about doing your own wiring. :shock:

Another chap i tried reckoned £250 and then the socket would be extra so I think that's the ballpark you might find if you get the yellow pages out...

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:55 pm

The socket could be as simple as a blue 16A socket fixed to the outside with a length of flex running through a hole in the wall. Inside you would it a Residual Current Circuit Breaker (RCCB), also known as a Residual Current Device (RCD), plug to the flex and plug it in when you need it. Only plugging in when you need it will stop the neighbours using your electricity when you are out at work.

As an alternative to the blue 16A socket you could get a weather proof, IP56, covered 13A socket outlet instead. This is the sort of thing that you might fit by your back door for the lawn mower or hedge trimmer. It is a socket in a grey box. The cover of the box lifts up and has a rubber seal on it to seal the lid with or without the plug in it.

The important thing is to have an RCCB (or RCD) either in the socket or on the plug inside your house.

Return to “General”