Berlingo Electrique Insurance

General BVS related area
Deddly

Postby Deddly » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:15 pm

ChrisB wrote:Its a 1999 one, eventually ended up back at Adrian Flux. While Footman James gave me a VERY competitive they where unable to offer me a fixed value on the Berlingo :cry:
ChrisB

Well I guess it's a bit late now, but have you considered trying some of the classic car insurers? three years ago when I was still in the UK I insured a 1991 VW Jetta as a classic car for a ridiculously cheap sum, even though I lived in London. Most classic car insurers wouldn't take it of course, but it's a question of phoning around until you find one that does. Usually the Classic car insurance companies are much smaller and some of them are run by enthusiasts - that makes them much more open in my experience.

--
Ed

Joe T

Postby Joe T » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:53 pm

Just getting quotes sorted for mine at the moment,
I even managed to get a price off the churchill website
5 years NC, 7000 Miles, Fully Comp, £350 Excess, Missus on there, £231

An ordinary berlingo is £130 so guess its the repair costs or something seems strange as it would right off really easy despite the marlet values etc.

Will try Footman James, and Peter Best

I have rear seats in mine so I imagine that could get interesting...
Just read another thread on here about that so will have to see.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:30 am

Joe T wrote:Just getting quotes sorted for mine at the moment,
I even managed to get a price off the churchill website
5 years NC, 7000 Miles, Fully Comp, £350 Excess, Missus on there, £231

An ordinary berlingo is £130 so guess its the repair costs or something seems strange as it would right off really easy despite the marlet values etc.

Will try Footman James, and Peter Best

I have rear seats in mine so I imagine that could get interesting...
Just read another thread on here about that so will have to see.

£231 seems pretty good , excess is a bit high mind you.

As for repair costs this is the bit that worries me about any of the insurances I suspect they would write it off :cry: :evil:

Which if tha accident wasnt your fault would be a real nightmere as these things are just so rare these days, we must remember we are driving what actually is a classic vehicle which almost requires bespoke repairs :shock:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

qdos

Postby qdos » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:51 am

When insurance wants to write off your car they do not own the car it's yours.

Yes it's very easy to write off a car that's much more than 6 years old. Bear in mind any garage quoting repairs to the most minor of 'fender benders' will quote £1500 before they even get out a can of touch up paint.

I had someone run into the back of my car a while back and totalled the front of her Ka on my tow hitch. The insurance were very prompt and very efficient at coming to look at my car to asses the damage and came back with an offer to settle my claim as they said it was not worth repairing.

Now the offer was just the glasses guide price for a typical car the age of mine but mine was an ultralow mileage example and it was one of those peaches you get off the production line which runs perfect so I was not over the moon about their offer and told them so. I told them I rejected thier offer and it was their client who had crashed into the rear of my car while i was stationary on a red light so it was totally down to them to rectify the damage and compensate me. We then entered the haggle zone and I got a better offer.

The car is mine and I do with it what I want it's not up to the insurance company to dictate what is done. any way the bottom line is I got a cheque very quickly for the amount we had negotiated and I still run my car.

The good bit though is that because the Ka has a huge whopping piece of plastic that crumples very nicely when a rather blunt solid object comes into contact with it basically there was no damage to my car other than a slightly bent electrics bracket on the tow hitch. The fact that there was a crack in the bumper and it was misaligned was actually due to a not particularly tidy installation of the tow hitch in the first place but hey if someone's going to run into the back of your car and offer a pretty poor price to compensate you claiming your car is worth a fraction of what it would cost to get a similar low mileage car then who am I to say no worries I'll not take your money.

The point is though Insurance is a rip off and they are far happier insuring nice new cars as they can charge a higher premium and make a better return. It's all a gamble and bookies don't loose :wink: Occasionally though us punters can make a bob or two

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:57 pm

qdos wrote:Yes it's very easy to write off a car that's much more than 6 years old. Bear in mind any garage quoting repairs to the most minor of 'fender benders' will quote £1500 before they even get out a can of touch up paint.

Just imagine a small rear end shunt on a Berlingo :shock: could well be bye bye 6x6v STM's easy £1500 quid before you even look at the body etc :cry:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

qdos

Postby qdos » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:22 pm

Get a tow bar fitted Chris :wink: Stops them before they get to the expensive bits so long as the mounting to the 'chassis' is sensible

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:32 pm

I sold a couple of batteries to an owner of a Blingo that had been rear ended, the insurance company paid for the boody damage but ultimately refused to accept liability for the battery damage. SO this poor chaps van stood for over a year. Still its now back functioning again.

The problem of damage is significant, especially to the rear battery.
I recently loaded a considerable of bricks(200+) in the back of mine and the rear was very low.

An alloy rear protection plate may be worth investing in. Wouldnt weigh much.

Grumpy-b

qdos

Postby qdos » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:46 pm

Grumpy-b wrote:
An alloy rear protection plate may be worth investing in. Wouldn't weigh much.

Grumpy-b

Bi metallic corrosion in the winter and a nice short circuit in a shunt. I suppose you could go one further than the tow bar and put a trailer on the back which would also mean you could carry the bricks separately too!

At the end of the day if someone hits you they hit you no matter what you do a 42 tonne lorry at 50mph isn't really going to notice much of a bump. The insurance co though should cough up for the batteries maybe name and shame them ????

Return to “General”