What sort of EV would you buy?

General BVS related area

how much are you prepared to spend on an Electric Vehicle?

Up to £1000
No votes
Up to £5000
35%
Up to £10,000
29%
Up to £15,000
24%
Over £15,000
12%
Wouldn't buy an EV
No votes

Total votes: 17

qdos

What sort of EV would you buy?

Postby qdos » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:02 am

Out of curiosity I was wondering what people really would be interested in buying in relation to an Electric Vehicle. Of course we all think we know but what would we actually dig into our pockets to buy?

The Polls are a bit limited it seems so I'll start with How much money?

Yes I know it's a bit vague but let's see what responses there are. I'll add more Polls later if there is interest.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:29 pm

Are we talking new ? or just any age ?

Its just I would pretty much NEVER buy new due to the sheer drop in value once its left the forecourt.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:30 pm

Same here, I've never bought a car before it's fallen below half its original price. I guess that means we're not part of your target market qdos :wink:

By the way, when are you going to stop teasing and give us some concrete details of your project?

qdos

Postby qdos » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:20 pm

I've got news for you. I've only ever bought one new car and that's the very first one off the production line ie the Zest and being as I'm the importer I got that at a good price :wink:

I'm interested in the amount folk are prepared to pay what ever the age. It's a question of how much are we prepared to spend on any EV

Teasing is fun I'm just doing the same as Tesla did only on a much less fancy scale. If you can't stand the teasing then pop along to one of the events and you might get lucky and see one of the things we're working on. You can chat to us too, you might get some answers :wink:

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:08 pm

Good point. If it was the right vehicle I'd be prepared to stretch the budget a little, especially if I knew it was going to hold its value – which an EV is more likely to do. Without getting on my soapbox (I have a folding model that I take everywhere), I'd like to see a modern-day equivalent of a Land Rover, a basic, do-it-all vehicle with bolt-on components that anyone with a bit of common sense and readily available tools can strip down and put back together. No air con, no power windows, no cup holders, just a decent heater and somewhere to stow a flask of tea.
(oh yes, it mustn't weight more than 400 kg) :D

qdos

Postby qdos » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:17 pm

An electric Land Rover weighing less than 400kg!

hmmm very tricky that one.

Mind you the Zest almost would do for you. only it's got 2 cup holders! Oh and it's not electric but it could so easily be if you wanted. It goes off road too

^ Motocross track ^

ChopperMan

Postby ChopperMan » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:26 pm

For me it all depends on what the vehicle can do for me. If all it does is get me around locally 40 mile range..... maybe £4 to £5K.

But, if could do 120 mile range (most of my family and friends live within 60 miles of my home), I would be prepared to pay the £250 per month I currently pay to lease a car I don't like to drive. So over five years that's £15K.

If you look at it from a financial prospective, if you live just outside London and have to commute to the City, by car. Then an EV will save you a fortune in congestion charge alone. Any other scenario, that I can think of, the financial savings are questionable, if any. BUT to most of us any financial savings are a fair way down the list of why we drive or ride an EV.

Several EV manufacturers now sell the vehicle batteryless and then lease the battery to the end user. Modec for example sell their 3.5 ton panel van for £40K then you lease the battery at £400 per month. The idea is that an ICE van will cost you this much in desiel per month, so you save not on fuel, but in servicing and improved reliability, also lowering your companies carbon footprint. For commercial users, this will be important factor in the future.

Sorry lecture / rant over :oops:

Ian
Electric chopper ebike with PUMA motor (1.2kW) and 36V 20Ah LiFePO4 batteries. 23 mph & 20 mile range with no peddling (Sorry, what are peddles for?).

mjoinson

Postby mjoinson » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:01 pm

if the car is really usefull, so it get used most days, it's worth spending reasonable money on, if it's a toy then the budget is much smaller. My wife and I could do all our regular weekly motoring with a small 4 seater with a decent boot, a top speed of 70mph and a range of 20miles. No one sells one, so I'm electrifying a Trabant instead.

One thing I'd have been worried about buying something straight out of the box is the rate at which the technology is improving. I'd happily pay £5000 for a car that did everything I needed, as long as I was happy it wouldn't be embarrassingly obsolete in 2 years time.

A 20 year old Trabant is timelessly ridiculous now, and so it will remain.....

qdos

Postby qdos » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:37 am

mjoinson wrote:One thing I'd have been worried about buying something straight out of the box is the rate at which the technology is improving. I'd happily pay £5000 for a car that did everything I needed, as long as I was happy it wouldn't be embarrassingly obsolete in 2 years time.

Obsolete???? how do you define obsolete? I've a Ginetta G27 using Triumph Spitfire front suspension Morris Marina rear axle Cortina Pinto engine and a Sierra Gearbox which technically is a 1972 car (well I managed to get it registered on a K plate :D ) It'll beat a V8 Esprit Turbo which is no longer in production. So which is obsolete? There's no such thing really as your trabant proves also.

mjoinson

Postby mjoinson » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:47 pm

what I meant was that in a few years time batteries may well be much lighter or bigger capacity or longer lasting or replaced by regenerative hydrogen fuel cells (as currently used in some military applications). In a home brew you have more chance of upgrading than in a tidier off the shelf vehicle designed around a particular solution. The age of the vehicle is immaterial, what matters is how it performs compared to the current stuff.

Return to “General”