Virtual Electric Vehicle Museum

General BVS related area
dargles

Virtual Electric Vehicle Museum

Postby dargles » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:08 pm

Hi, Guys.
This idea has been prompted by me failing to acquire a one-off conversion of a Gentry, completed a good few years ago, and needing a restoration to be completed. (Basically common sense prevailed when my wife managed to persuade me that we don't have the time, money or space for such a project :cry: ). Basically, I'm thinking of setting up a virtual online electric vehicle museum.

I've had a little look around, and there are one or two electric vehicle museums springing up with websites, but that's different, for a number of reasons. Typically, a real museum will revolve around whatever vehicles it can get its hands on. A virtual museum can tell the story of development through the years and include key vehicles even if they no longer exist - a common problem when many original electric vehicles were produced in very small numbers.

What I'd really like to do is focus on the storyline and demonstrate it with fascinating examples from history. In the process, I'd like to make sure that the key technical issues are examined, and a record kept of solutions that folks came up with using the technology they had available at the time. So the idea would be that it wouldn't just be a collection of pictures of cars from years ago, but an examination of key scientific principles and as complete a record as possible of the "exhibits" so that, should they not exist, or if they should cease to exist at some future date, enough information will exist to recreate the car(s) in question.

I've got a basic storyline in mind, with a number of potential "exhibits", but I'd be grateful for your thoughts before committing pen to paper... er, keyboard to webpage... whatever...

What do you reckon?
Regards, David

timpootle

Re: Virtual Electric Vehicle Museum

Postby timpootle » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:52 pm

I usually recommend http://evalbum.com to people starting a conversion. Would your website do something different to this? Sounds like you intend more detail on each 'exhibit'. An interesting idea. Keep us posted! Do you want it to be a BVS project, hosted here?
Tim Crumpton

dargles

Re: Virtual Electric Vehicle Museum

Postby dargles » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi, Tim.
Sorry for the delay in replying to your most helpful and supportive reply.

timpootle wrote:I usually recommend http://evalbum.com to people starting a conversion. Would your website do something different to this? Sounds like you intend more detail on each 'exhibit'. An interesting idea.

Yes; I'm fascinated with the "long story" as it were. So I'd like to start with the late 19th century and the world land speed record cars - which all were electric for a while! I've got the SM Hills book from the (second world) war years, and a much earlier book of electric vehicle technology from the early Edwardian era, and there's loads of interesting development in battery technology even then. So I'd like to plot how different vehicles exemplify the state of the art through the decades until we come to recent developments with lithium batteries, for example.

timpootle wrote:Keep us posted! Do you want it to be a BVS project, hosted here?

That's had me thinking for a bit (and that's partly why I've delayed replying until now) - it's a great offer, thanks. I love the idea of it being a BVS project and hosted here, it would give it much more "street cred". I wonder if it would be a good idea for me develop a "proof of concept" development site on my own server, and then look to port it over when it's ready to go live? That would mean that I'd have full access to the server whilst developing without BVS having to worry about security; and also that BVS wouldn't have to worry about the project being duff and reflecting badly, since the final decision about "badging" could be made when it's more obvious what the final version would look like.

How does that sound as an approach?

Regards, David

Return to “General”