Hello from a Prius project

General BVS related area
littlejobselectrical

Hello from a Prius project

Postby littlejobselectrical » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:34 pm

Hi to everybody.
I have just joined this forum hoping that this is the correct place to tell you about my project and have discussions along the way.

Ok firstly me: My name is Andrew and I am a Electrician by trade so I have good electrical knowledge to assist me with this project.
I took ownership of a 2005 Toyota Prius 1 month ago and I now use it for work everyday. So far it has been a great experience driving my first hybrid. Since my last car was a Vauxhall Zafira 2.2 direct petrol automatic which only achieved 19mpg :shock: I needed something that would give me superb fuel consumption along with being a decent sized car for all my equipment.
I used to have a sign written van before the Zafira but just before Christmas it got broken into and I got cleaned out. This was the last time I advertise on a vehicle. The work electrician on the side is like a red rag to a bull when there is a thief about. I have taken me months to get all my tools back in stock as my car insurance does not cover contense theft :?

My Plan: I have been looking on the internet about converting my Prius into a plug in. Over the years there has been loads of people especially in the states who have done a conversion with great success.
Because of my work driving is all local driving on minor roads I cant see me using much petrol at all if my Prius was a plug in.
I do love the EV over ride switch and I use it as much as I can but I find it frustrating that it only lasts a mile and is also limited to 30mph.
Ok yes I could go and buy a almost new Prius plug in but with the cheapest being just over 20k Its along way off any of my budgets.

So this is my project. Would you all mind if I place my progress in here for all to see and read?

ecocars

Re: Hello from a Prius project

Postby ecocars » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:27 pm

Hi

Im no expert in converting Prius (I sell normal prius !) but we did have in stock this retro fitt 'amberjack' conversion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQa4rtojLQU

Drove for around 30 miles on ev mode ! , but still under 30mph

Regards
Jonathan

Return to “General”