No Company Car Tax For EVs!

General BVS related area
andylaurence

No Company Car Tax For EVs!

Postby andylaurence » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:17 pm

Last week, it was announced that company car tax would be suspended for 5 years for EVs. That's great news! I believe that the value of the car can also be offset against corporation tax, so a benefit for the company too. Sadly, most people entitled to a company car need to travel reasonable distances on a semi-regular basis. The only EV you can buy off-the-shelf today that can travel 100 miles on the motorway is the Tesla Roadster. Sadly, it's a little out of budget for most company car drivers and only has two seats.

So, does anyone know of a car that's available today that can go 100 miles on the motorway? The only car I can think of is the upcoming Tesla Model S, which I've heard should start at around £45k when it rolls out the factory in 2012.
Above figures include track days and the odd competition.

marktime

Postby marktime » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:33 pm

I would also be interested in the answer to this question, if there were a car that could do a 150 ish mile round trip (I would not be able to gaurantee acess to charging facilities at a customer site so round trip range would be desirable) I would seriously consider it. My current Prius would be moved from the 10% to 11% band but is due for replacement next year. The new prius will fall into the new 10% band again. No brainer for me. :D

You would not belieive how difficult it is to get folk to see the logic of choosing a low emmisons car, they will happily pay tax on 20+% of a 25K car and complain that they loose out on the mileage rate when I pay tax on 10% of 18.5k and make 5p from every business mile! :D
Soft as Graphite, Hard as Diamond, Black as Coal & clear as CO2, It's a Carbon thing!

andylaurence

Postby andylaurence » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

I've found this nice looking kit car, which is available in an electric version. I think the vendor is a member of this forum. I'm not sure how much range it'd get though if it was packed to the hilt with lithium or how much it'd cost and I would guess that most company cars have to have 4 doors. I know that I used to, when my company car policy was dictated to me. There's definitely a gap in the market for a car that has 4 doors, a top speed around the national speed limit and a range that'll get to to the next city and back.

Annoyingly, I've established that when the Tesla Model S is actually available to buy, I could spend no more money by running that instead of my Smart Roadster, despite the depreciation of a £45k car, vs £3k of my Roadster. It suits my needs too, with enough room for the family and a range big enough to go anywhere I normally go in a year (excluding driving holidays). The tax breaks are phenomenal today - we just need something to make use of them!

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:55 pm

andylaurence wrote:Annoyingly, I've established that when the Tesla Model S is actually available to buy, I could spend no more money by running that instead of my Smart Roadster, despite the depreciation of a £45k car, vs £3k of my Roadster. It suits my needs too, with enough room for the family and a range big enough to go anywhere I normally go in a year (excluding driving holidays). The tax breaks are phenomenal today - we just need something to make use of them!

Why is this annoying to you? Did I read that paragraph wrong? It sounds like the Tesla S is exactly the car you want, and someone has designed it for you and promises to build some and sell them in right hand drive in this country. I see nothing to get annoyed about, but rather celebrate!
Tim Crumpton

andylaurence

Postby andylaurence » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:58 pm

The annoyance is in the wait until it's available, which is a year or two away. I could really do with swapping my two-seater for a family car tomorrow. It's frustrating to see that what I want is possible but not available.

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:33 pm

Oh, yes, that is annoying. I agree.

Have you put your deposit down? I would have done, but I spent all my money (and then some) on a big pile of lithium...

If I had had as much faith in Tesla motors then as I do now, I my never have embarked on my own long-range project. As you have said, the Model S looks just about perfect.
Tim Crumpton

andylaurence

Postby andylaurence » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:38 pm

No, I've not put a deposit down. I'm waiting to see if I can stick with the Roadster when the baby arrives in Feb (or Jan, if it's early). If I can, then I'll wait, otherwise, I'll be buying something else and getting a Model S in a few years.

Return to “General”