Book: "Do humans dream of electric cars?"

General BVS related area
Jon Fray

Book: "Do humans dream of electric cars?"

Postby Jon Fray » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:36 pm

I'm guessing that there are a few people who visit this site who DO :)

Book by SUSTRANS: "Do humans dream of electric cars?"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humans-Dream-El ... 1906136289

MaryRCrumpton
Site Staff

Postby MaryRCrumpton » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:48 am

Ah yes, I ordered that book a few days ago - it came out on 1st June. (Sustrans want £5 + £2.50 postage, but from an amazon market place seller you can get it for about £1.70).

I think it will be an interesting read - I'll write a review of it for the next issue of the magazine.

Mary.
BVS North-West Coordinator, based in Manchester.
Contact via Text/Phone on 07751 696 055

timpootle

Caveat browsor

Postby timpootle » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:26 am

JimC wrote:I wasted my time checking the link and it has nothing to do with battery vehicles. It is very misleading and in my opinion an annoyance.
From the blurb it does have the potential to be an interesting read, basically it proposes a radical rethink on how transport should be used and all private use of vehicles is bad (including battery powered ones). As a goal to work towards the idea has some merit but to consider it as a goal to achieve is I think impractical and shows luddite factions at there very worst.
would it be possible for you to edit [this post] making it clear that the link is for more sustainable use of transport and is not directly relevant to battery powered vehicles.

Best Regards
JimC

Click the link at your peril!
Tim Crumpton

Jon Fray

Postby Jon Fray » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:31 pm

Sorry that you found that a waste of time.

Jim, honestly I don't think you could claim that you wasted much time looking at that book on Amazon. It takes about 20 seconds to see what it's about. And yes, it is relevant to the Battery Vehicle Society and its members because, as far as I understand, (and I read about the book in a SUSTRANS publication) that essentially, SUSTRANS see electric cars as being a waste of time or a distraction/ diversion from addressing more pressing issues to providing truly sustainable transport.

I'm not saying that the book is good, bad or indifferent. I just find it interesting to see the way the politics of transport and environmentalism is being discussed now.

Here's another link if you've got more than 10 seconds to spare; it contains text such as the following "For the £250m allocated to electric car incentives in the Budget, you could introduce TravelSmart to around 12.5m households, or around half the population of the UK. TravelSmart results show that we could not only reduce car trips by ten per cent, but also boost the economy (by enabling people to be more physically active with all the benefits to our health and energy budgets), and reduce congestion"

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/resources/in ... ctric-cars

Return to “General”