Buy an EV bike and convert onto a car or buy piecemeal?

General BVS related area
phil shepherdson

Buy an EV bike and convert onto a car or buy piecemeal?

Postby phil shepherdson » Fri May 15, 2009 8:25 am

if i acquired a 3 to 4 kilowatt scooter and transfered all the bits across to my Midas (small Mini kit) car, do you think it would be a successful easier option than acquiring everything piecemeal?

Adding onto this, i would love to see any local (York) area electric cars/vehicles to derive inspiration from; so if anyone is up here and could spare the time, it would be nice to actually see some of these EV's move!

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri May 15, 2009 6:17 pm

I'd have thought that the size and weight of your Midas versus the scooter would not have made such a transplant a success.

FlossyThePig

Postby FlossyThePig » Fri May 15, 2009 8:13 pm

The current plan I have for my MkII Midas is a motor for each wheel. Why have an electric sports car that can't overtake a milk float?

Hugh

Peter Eggleston

Postby Peter Eggleston » Sat May 16, 2009 12:37 pm

I overtook a Ferrari in my milk float the other day. I was doing 35 mph in a 30 mph zone, but it was good fun.
Peter

qdos

Postby qdos » Sat May 16, 2009 4:01 pm

You'd have seen an official Electric Midas if you'd have been at Stoneleigh ;)

Think the scooter motor isn't going to be anywhere near enough to move the Midas at anymore than a snail's pace. If you want to do an electric Midas speak to Alistair Courtney

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Sat May 16, 2009 4:05 pm

Most of the small Chinese electric scooters aren't exactly well-made and have few, if any, useful components that you could use in a car conversion.

Motors and controllers are readily obtainable at reasonable prices if you shop around. Take a look at www.marselectricllc.com for some budget motor details, and either http://www.alltraxinc.com/ or http://www.kellycontroller.com/shop/ for some reasonably priced controllers.

Batteries can be locally sourced lead acid traction batteries if you're working to a budget, or LiFePO4 cells if you have some extra cash.

Jeremy

phil shepherdson

electric Midas conversion

Postby phil shepherdson » Wed May 27, 2009 3:43 pm

many thanks for all of your useful replies - Phil S

phil shepherdson

electric Midas conversion

Postby phil shepherdson » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:41 am

FlossyThePig wrote:The current plan I have for my MkII Midas is a motor for each wheel. Why have an electric sports car that can't overtake a milk float?

Hugh

that sounds intriging. how would you go about that exactly; a hub motor at each wheel and where sourced?? - Phil

Return to “General”