PML hi-pa drive motors

General BVS related area
Delinquent

PML hi-pa drive motors

Postby Delinquent » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:57 pm

Whilst at a family party at the weekend I got chatting to my uncle about my electric vehicle dreams, only to be informed that PML Flightlink are about a mile from his house! Unfortunately yet to find a relative who works there that could put a word in with the bosses to let a motor go to a MOP. :lol:

Getting home I did a bit more research, but have yet to come up with any real details on their motors - anyone know any of the specifics, construction etc? We were speculating on it just being a brushless adaptation of their printed motors but really were just plucking thoughts out the air.

NickJ

Postby NickJ » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:08 pm

All I know is they are "not cheap" I made an enquiry about 2 years ago and was quoted 9k a motor!

as to details, im not sure!

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:21 pm

.........and I'm not even sure if they actually work :cry:

I seem to remember they where having major control issues with these motors, think a member had some and they never ever worked from day one :cry:

I might be wrong :?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Delinquent

Postby Delinquent » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:25 am

well they have signed several large contracts so I'd be somewhat surprised (and disappointed!) if they don't work.

I can however well believe they would be very expensive! My interest was more from a technical side of how they have achieved the (claimed) figures - as an amateur motor builder I like seeing the new ways of doing things!

Ellya

Postby Ellya » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:55 pm

I called PML to ask about their motors and if I could buy any. But it seems Volvo have moved in and contracts won't allow PML to sell their technology until the Volvo is in production.

I would love to hear otherwise, as I'm keen to buy some 300Kw motors for my project.

bobc

Postby bobc » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:35 pm

I've also asked & been told very silly prices indeed. I guess they must be some flavour of brushless DC. I notice siemens (I work for them) are also publicising a "in wheel" motor on their website - but it's all talk so far.
I've never been convinced by in-wheel motors - it must compromise unsprung weight. I think it's hipa who said "yes but you don't need brake rotors or calipers any more, just do the braking electrically"
yeah right...........

Ellya

Postby Ellya » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:16 pm

I thought about the in-wheel motors for our competition car project, but as you said all that unsprung weight was a concern. Additionally for the kind of application I'm thinking about (rallying), I would have thought that anything close to or in the wheels is extremely vunerable to a huge amount of vibration and other hazards ...water, rocks, mud etc...

qdos

Postby qdos » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:17 pm

Steve Green used some in his Jester and his C3 I think they proved to be rather temermental but he is still plaing around with some other Hub motors at the moment. Not sure if they are PML one's. I have to say I'm not at all convinced that a hub motor is the right place for a motor to be for exactly the same reasons Ellya.

Who was at Exeter over the weekend? I'm sure we must have chatted about this or is it just coincidence?

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:10 pm

After talking with someone from Freecycle she works for a subsidiary of what was "PML Flightlink" and she new that one of the employees lives in my close.

Having just had a very interesting talk with this guy, he is happy to find answers to questions that people may have.

So I know that people's concerns are about unsprung weight and reliability, but if somone can reply with more specific questions then I can pass them onto this guy and hopefully get their view on things. It may also be a good way for the BVS to work with suppliers/manufacturers more (ChrisB I tried to get him to join, but he is not into forums).

Also after finding out sometime ago that the CEO of Flightlink was only 2 levels away from me (i.e. someone that I know knows someone that knows him) I am even more covinced that the 6 degrees of separation really does true.

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:33 pm

OT

arsharpe wrote:Also after finding out sometime ago that the CEO of Flightlink was only 2 levels away from me (i.e. someone that I know knows someone that knows him) I am even more covinced that the 6 degrees of separation really does true.

I'm only 5 degrees away from Willie Nelson.

Return to “General”