Electrical Vehicle Campaign

General BVS related area
Julia Pigworthy

Smiths ElectricVehicles

Postby Julia Pigworthy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:26 am

I love that the Brits are ahead in the goods-vehicle EV industry, what with Smiths and Modec, and I hope they trounce the competition (if any) in the US. However I've been wondering about their white man van EV that uses a Ford Transit body. Do we think Ford may have done a deal with Smiths to provide Smiths with a recognisable vehicle body to sell as an EV (ie the Ford Transit van), but only after signing a deal to NOT build any electric passenger CARS that might threaten their motor sales on 'Treasure Island' Britain. I think they've bribed Smiths to ensure people dont stop buying the Ka and Fiesta and switch to a Smiths Electric passenger car instead.

Their 3.5 tonne capacity van has both speed and range - if they made a large electric car of a similar scale to the Transit would it not also potentially threaten their saloon car/people carrier market, even if the sticker price was £5k higher or so? Many would need a long distance 5 seater but many others wouldnt need it more than a few of times a year and for that level of need a hire car is far more cost effective. I drive a Mondeo, but would happily own one short range electric vehicle for my daily 20 miles, and would be content to hire/borrow a petrol/long-range car for my half dozen long-distance trips a year, or take a train ride/plane trip and hire a car when I get there like when I go on holiday, and if Im only travelling locally at my destination that could be an EV too :)

Im looking forward to being able to visit a UK sales office where they will have FOR SALE either a Smart EV, a Th!nk City EV (albeit with a leased battery) or a Mitsubishi MiEV, as these are the first vehicles I would realistically consider as 'proper' electric cars. Im also going to try and get to Brighton 2 weeks today so that I can actually touch an EV in the flesh as it were! Ive never seen ONE electric car face to face and I want to experience that moment of 'wow.. the legends were true!' lol!
Saw the film. You know which one. Now I'm strangely at odds with my own car..

Return to “General”