Web and Forum site status.

General BVS related area
qdos

Postby qdos » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:45 am

ChrisB wrote:Mind you got an e-mail this morning from a member saying the forum was really slow last night.

New issue this morning .......... BVS e-mails wont send :?

Have you noticed the postings have dropped off to a dribble? I wonder why?

Waste of time me ever saying anything really isn't it? But I have said on numerous ocassions since a certain someone took over control of the site...............

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:27 pm

Yep :P hadnt noticed less posters in fact I thought it had increased recently 8)

Right a support ticket was lodged with vispa and it appeared that the server had a glitch on it and has been fixed now and vispa are keeping an eye on the server.

Must admit it does seem a LOT faster this evening 8) anyone else noticing a speed increase now or is it the same ?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

nino500

Postby nino500 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:46 pm

Yes, It finally seems to be working exactly as you'd expect.

It's all too easy to take it for granted that these things just do the business day in , day out but it only takes a little glitch to get people logging off and finding another forum to love :roll:

Thanks for sorting it,
Nino.

qdos

Postby qdos » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:08 pm

I just posted a reply to a thread and it took over 12 minutes to post. So much for it being fixed

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:48 pm

Ah thats just your out in the sticks Qdos :twisted:

You need to a decent bit of fibre rather than those naff old copper things you have to use :lol:

Seems fine so far today 8)

ChrisB

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:39 pm

Ah thats just your out in the sticks

I tend to agree.

Interestingly, my previous ISP, Virgin Media via cable, tended to hang up when loading some sites, although not usually this one. Since switching to ADSL things seem pretty quick.

Mind you, I seem to have an unusually quick ADSL connection, perhaps by virtue of being about 200 metres from my local exchange, so am not seeing any delays at all.

Jeremy
Last edited by Jeremy on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:43 pm

Wow you must be one of the lucky ones.

Must admit I've been very pleased with Beardy Broadband and I put that down to the Fibre box being just outside my house 8)

A friend only just up the road is on copper and hes always suffering :cry: mind you the exchange must me a few miles aways for him :shock:

ChrisB

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:21 pm

I think you might be right, Chris, I may be lucky. I'm getting a solid 6.5Mb+ via ADSL via the Phone Coop, against a nominal 2Mb from Virgin Media via cable. The ADSL connection is a couple of pounds a month cheaper, too.

I'd had cable broadband for around 6 years, and originally it was pretty good. Over the last 12 months or so the service just got slower and more cranky, with some sites being inaccessible for hours on end. It was fairly common for one forum (not this one), in particular, to regularly run very slowly on my old connection, but since switching ISP a month or so ago I've not had any problems with it, so have to conclude that it was an ISP problem.

The odd thing is that speed tests seem to show that the VM cable connection was OK, even when it simply refused to connect to some sites for hours on end, goodness knows why.

Jeremy

qdos

Postby qdos » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:32 pm

It's nothing to do with my internet connection I can get other sites no problems at all. It's intermitent though frequent.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:56 pm

Jeremy wrote:I think you might be right, Chris, I may be lucky. I'm getting a solid 6.5Mb+ via ADSL via the Phone Coop, against a nominal 2Mb from Virgin Media via cable. The ADSL connection is a couple of pounds a month cheaper, too.

Cheaper :shock: I've not found anything that matches my £10 for my 2meg, yeah theres special offers but they dont seem to last much longer than 6mths, how much is your 6.5meg, mind you the whole of our area cant support much more than 3meg on copper :cry:

Jeremy wrote:I'd had cable broadband for around 6 years, and originally it was pretty good. Over the last 12 months or so the service just got slower and more cranky, with some sites being inaccessible for hours on end. It was fairly common for one forum (not this one), in particular, to regularly run very slowly on my old connection, but since switching ISP a month or so ago I've not had any problems with it, so have to conclude that it was an ISP problem.

The odd thing is that speed tests seem to show that the VM cable connection was OK, even when it simply refused to connect to some sites for hours on end, goodness knows why.

Jeremy

mmm sounds like they where pushing the contention ratios in your area, must admit when I first joined cable when it first arrived here, must be 10yrs ago now when it was called Nynex it was awsome and I was getting 1/2meg when should have only had 1/4 , then as the years rolled by and more folk connected it did slow somewhat, but then they bumped it to 1meg and I never even noticed :twisted: but then there was a big push and I noticed a large drop in perfomance and so caled them up and a guy came out and apparently turned the gain up in the cabnet outside and all came good again 8) since then hes been back once more about 2yrs ago now and did the same, the last time though he did say that was it and there was nothing left on it, so if it slows again :?:

ChrisB

Return to “General”