Web and Forum site status.

General BVS related area
ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:04 am

Nah never even noticed it was off air :twisted:

Blooming crazy, terrible state of affairs if you ask me and certianly VISPA can poke their so called service where thje sun dont shine in my book :evil:

Right time to back up the DB so at least I'VE got a recent backup :wink:

Then move this lot to somewhere more reliable

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:38 am

Yes, 4 days out is a really bad failure. Here is what VISPA have to say about it, from their Network Service Status page
Hosting Servers Failed Update
28/02/09 18:19
We are currently investigating an automatic update which appears to have self installed today causing a loss of service to several hosting customers on both triton and mars servers. We have raised the issue with the software vendor and we expect an update very soon.
Hosting Servers Failed Update - Restored.
03/03/09 22:31
We are pleased to announce that service has now fully been restored. Parallels engineers who are based in Novosibirsk Russia have worked alongside our engineers to ensure that the server backup was fully restored. Unfortunately as we have discovered the automated restoration tool provided by Parallels does not seem to support large backups therefore the restoration was carried out manually. Parallels have logged this issue and have assured us that they will provide fix in due course. Under normal circumstances a full server restoration should take no longer than 2 hours. Once again, we sincerely apologise for the outage and we most certainly have learned from the experience and every effort will be made to ensure that should a similar even arise in the future, it should be followed by a planned speedy restoration.

I apologise to everyone for the long loss, and to Chris for having to field everyone's queries over the weekend.

The 'internet team' is coming up with a fall-back plan should this ever happen again. Unfortunately the arrangement we had didn't allow for this. Does anyone here have a webserver we could host an emergency mirror of this forum on? That was the one component we needed to bring us back online sooner than VISPA restoring their machine would allow.

I had a backup all along of Friday's data. I get one every day. I could not use it as there was nothing to restore on to.
Tim Crumpton

GregsGarage

Lost post

Postby GregsGarage » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:38 am

Looks like some posts were lost in the outage. In particular I had started a thread on my recent Lifepo4 fire and can't find it now. Is this gone forever?
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:45 am

mmmmmm was wondering if we lost anything, had hoped not :cry:

But if you say it was there and now it wasnt I'd say it has gone I'm afraid, was it a large post ??

I know Tims got a back up from before it died but without knowing the exact time it went poof I suspect the back up wont have your post in it.

Sorry about that and I can say I am doing my utmost to make sure the forum will be secure in the future :wink:

ChrisB

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:54 am

I think I can recover those last few posts. My backup was taken at 03.05 on Saturday morning. I haven't figured out when VISPAs backup is from, but I should be able to re-build anything that was lost.

I will get back to you when I have had chance to compare the 2 sets of data.
Tim Crumpton

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:01 pm

I think my lost post was titled "Lifepo4 catch fire" or something similar in the "all things battery related" section. It had been up for a few days before the outage. If not I will restart it when I get time.

Thanks
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:40 pm

Your thread is back, Greg. You can find it here:
http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk ... php?t=1825

Really sorry to read the story, when I dug it out of the backup.
Tim Crumpton

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Apologies for the loss of service this morning.

Vispa was informed and we where back up within a few hours

ChrisB

qdos

Postby qdos » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:18 am

ChrisB wrote:Vispa was informed and we where back up within a few hours

Was that an April fools? ;)

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:39 pm

Apparently not ......well unless Vispa thought it was funny to pull the site for a few hours :evil:

ChrisB

Return to “General”