Web and Forum site status.

General BVS related area
Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:05 am

qdos wrote:It's nothing to do with my internet connection I can get other sites no problems at all. It's intermitent though frequent.

This was pretty much the problem I used to get with the Endless Sphere EV forum when I was using VM. Often, the connection would be so slow that just switching to another page on that site would cause the machine to hang for a long time, sometimes long enough to get the "server hasn't responded" error message.

Like you, I assumed that it was the forum systems that were at fault, in fact I thought it might just be the large number of users that tend to be on that forum at any one time. It wasn't until I switched ISPs and found that the problem has now gone away that the thought occurred that the issue may well have been at my end of the connection, so to speak.

Chris B wrote;

Cheaper I've not found anything that matches my £10 for my 2meg, yeah theres special offers but they dont seem to last much longer than 6mths, how much is your 6.5meg, mind you the whole of our area cant support much more than 3meg on copper

VM were charging me £29 per month for 2Mb broadband plus a 'phone line. The Phone Coop are charging me about £27 a month for 6.5Mb broadband plus a 'phone line, with a better call rate charging structure than VM. I was paying around £18 per month for the cable broadband and 'phone when NTL ran things, but as soon as Virgin Media took over they upped the price by £11 a month!

I think you're right about the VM service being over-loaded locally. The main problems I had were with being unable, or very slow, to connect to some specific web sites. As well as the ES forum, I also had major delays in trying to connect to my credit card website, which was very frustrating at times (like when trying to pay the thing off just at the payment deadline!). Outright download speed was sort of OK, things like software updates seemed to stream down the wires pretty quickly and speed tests tended to show that the service was usually around 1.5Mb or so. The same speed tests would often show red scores for "ping times" though, which I assume to be related to the connection problems I had with some web sites.

Jeremy

qdos

Postby qdos » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:58 am

So are you saying then that you've never had the site take ages to refresh or upload Jeremy?

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:15 pm

I am, Kelvin. It seems to always be pretty quick for me, certainly no more than a couple of seconds to post messages, switch pages etc. I've never noticed any real problems with this site, although should temper that by noting that I'm not that regular a visitor.

I really have no idea how these things work, but I do get the impression that the system that a particular ISP uses to look up sites seems to have an effect.

Jeremy

EDITED to ADD:

OK, perhaps I'd better correct the above, as this message took 1 minute 18 seconds to post!

Maybe there is a problem.

qdos

Postby qdos » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:26 pm

Jeremy wrote:OK, perhaps I'd better correct the above, as this message took 1 minute 18 seconds to post!

Thanks for the reply Jeremy. There you go see that's what we've been talking about. It's random as to when it happens and also how long it takes. I've had it take over 8 minutes before and if it was an ISP problem i.e. not able to find the page it would return a time out error. I'm online pretty much 24/7 and I check the forum and main site many times a day so I'm often comming across this slow response from the site. It's all too common since the move to the new servers.

Fast internet connections can be fantastic Me I have a pretty reasonable Broadband service and I use it heavily as I build websites and I also am involved in a community network., What you have to keep in mind though is that there's a fair few members who don't have fast broadband and even a fair few (including several committee members) who are still on dial up.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:35 pm

Jeremy wrote:
Chris B wrote;

Cheaper I've not found anything that matches my £10 for my 2meg, yeah theres special offers but they dont seem to last much longer than 6mths, how much is your 6.5meg, mind you the whole of our area cant support much more than 3meg on copper

VM were charging me £29 per month for 2Mb broadband plus a 'phone line. The Phone Coop are charging me about £27 a month for 6.5Mb broadband plus a 'phone line, with a better call rate charging structure than VM. I was paying around £18 per month for the cable broadband and 'phone when NTL ran things, but as soon as Virgin Media took over they upped the price by £11 a month....................

Jeremy

Wow I've never paid £29 for my BB, they tried it once back when it first came along and I told them where to go, so they gave it to me for £18, that was in the days of Nynex pre cable & Wireless and NTL, when VM came along they offered me my £18 service for just a tenner which I just had to take of course 8) I have a feeling they may try to push the price up soon but I'll just poke them with a pile of info from other BB supplies and I suspect they will lower the price as I know I can get it for less than a tenner a month now (OK I suspect its a naff service but hey they dont know that)

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:43 pm

Jeremy wrote:
OK, perhaps I'd better correct the above, as this message took 1 minute 18 seconds to post!

Yeah just had the dam thing stall on me again as well :evil:

OK new ticket to be raised, couple of things though is it only when you make a post do folks think or is is more a whole general site loading issue.

Trying to decide if its a server issue or possibley a database issue, I feel its more server based as I came over to try it on Firefox and it took an age to load the main site again :?

Oh the joy of puters :roll:

ChrisB

Edit mmm does seem quicker in FireFox , but that could be just coindence ??

nino500

Postby nino500 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:52 pm

Yes, I just had a posting take a couple of minutes and then, when I navigated to other sections of the forum, it took over a minute back to the index and similar time to the next section and again into the thread. Then it sped up again.

Nino.

Edit: This posting only took 3-4 secs.

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:13 pm

For what it's worth, I'm a Firefox user; I don't know if that has any bearing on things.

On the topic of charging, I have to say that VM were singularly uninterested when I called them after the massive price hike when they took over from NTL. I even threatened them with legal action, as my contract (with NTL) clearly stated that the price for the service (2Mb BB plus a 'phone line) was £18 per month. They essentially told me my contract with NTL was now null and void and to go elsewhere if I wanted a better deal, as their new price was £29 per month, take it or leave it.........

Needless to say I've now left them!

If anyone wants a recommendation for an ADSL ISP that gives good service and is fairly green, then I'd recommend the Phone Coop. The clincher for me was their undertaking NEVER to adopt Phorm or any similar privacy-busting scams.

Jeremy

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:20 pm

Jeremy wrote:For what it's worth, I'm a Firefox user; I don't know if that has any bearing on things.

On the topic of charging, I have to say that VM were singularly uninterested when I called them after the massive price hike when they took over from NTL. I even threatened them with legal action, as my contract (with NTL) clearly stated that the price for the service (2Mb BB plus a 'phone line) was £18 per month. They essentially told me my contract with NTL was now null and void and to go elsewhere if I wanted a better deal, as their new price was £29 per month, take it or leave it.........

I've never paid that for my BB EVER , how weird ?????

Jeremy wrote:
If anyone wants a recommendation for an ADSL ISP that gives good service and is fairly green, then I'd recommend the Phone Coop. The clincher for me was their undertaking NEVER to adopt Phorm or any similar privacy-busting scams.
Jeremy

Yeah must admit I'm not happy with whole Phorm stuff :evil: but thats a whole new thread I think :wink:

Thanks Nino500 for your feedback, the more we get the better we'll understand the issue and hopfully get it fixed soon :wink:

ChrisB

qdos

Postby qdos » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:54 am

It happens when you post AND when you simply read postings. Makes no difference if you are using IE FF or if you're on Windows or Linux. The answer is in the magazine, but hey no one bothers listening do they unless you have a "rant".

Return to “General”