Little Chef to host lunch to discuss EV Charging - 1st Nov

BVS Events area, want to meet up with fellow EV'ers then this is the place to post. Please follow the guidelines if you are starting a topic here.
Kevin Sharpe

Little Chef to host lunch to discuss EV Charging - 1st Nov

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:28 pm

here is the text extracted from a number of Little Chef tweets following our criticism of their 7kW deployments;

"Hello everyone, thanks for your comments on our electric car chargers.

Little Chef are currently working with Nissan, looking into the feasibility of installing DC chargers. We wanted to put an offer in place, so we have, and we are now working towards faster solutions for the middle of next year.

William de Laszlo would like to invite anyone that would like input into our car charger offer to a lunch at 35 Davis St (W1K 4LS) on November 1st.

If you are interested please email Littlechef@cakegroup.com"

I would like to suggest that we attend this lunch on masse and ensure that Little Chef are left in no doubt that we NEED 50kW DC (and 43kW AC) Fast Charging NOW.

Please email littlechef@cakegroup.com and register your interest in attending the lunch. Please also post to this thread so that we know how many are likely to attend.
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

retepsnikrep

Re: Little Chef to host lunch to discuss EV Charging - 1st N

Postby retepsnikrep » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:00 am

Sadly I can't attend due to the distance.

Although I agree the fast chargers would be nice, the usage of them will be very limited and the cost will be horrific :shock:

We need simple access to easier/cheaper standard 13 amp sockets and 16Amp Blue Commando ones as a priority IMHO.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:48 am

retepsnikrep wrote:Although I agree the fast chargers would be nice, the usage of them will be very limited and the cost will be horrific :shock:
The latest CHAdeMO charger from Nissan retails at ~£8000 which is pretty good when you consider it offers 50kW charging and supports mainstream cars like the Leaf, i-MIEV, and many of the production cars that we will see this year and next.

retepsnikrep wrote:We need simple access to easier/cheaper standard 13 amp sockets and 16Amp Blue Commando ones as a priority IMHO.
Unfortunately, the charging rates offered by 13A and 16A sockets is inadequate for most mainstream drivers who are traveling from A to B. Both these sockets are also not inline with European or UK Government recommendations for 62196 Type 2 ("mennekes") charging infrastructure. IMO the minimum charging level for "opportunity" charging of 3+ hours is 32A (7kW).

Low cost Charging Stations are now available - for example, the units that ZCW donate retail at £100 (13A) and £150 (32A). Our "mennekes" version will retail at £250 (32A) early next year.
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:06 am

"This was the second time this week I've had smartcard hassle. I was going to use Pod Point posts at Gatwick Airport this week but they are not yet pay-as-you-go and they couldn't remote activate it. When I got back to the airport last night, I had a look at the posts and they appeard to be turned off anyway!

I'm so glad I bought an EV with a back-up generator, it provides immunity from the effects of these clowns."

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/6462-Little-Chef-and-Chargemaster-installing-UK-national-charging-network/page3?p=144935&viewfull=1#post144935

skooler

Postby skooler » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:46 am

Hi Kevin,

I don't normally post here but thought this was worth signing up for!

How many people are you expecting to be there? I could probably move a few things around in order to make it.

On a side note, I'm currently having a nightmare with pod-point too!

Cheers,

Mike
Posts by Mike Schooling
Director and tech lead at indra.co.uk

Mazda RX8, Soliton Jr, 24KWH Sinopoly LiFePO4, Kostov 11alpha
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/sh ... 61556.html

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:03 pm

skooler wrote:I don't normally post here but thought this was worth signing up for!

How many people are you expecting to be there? I could probably move a few things around in order to make it.
Unfortunately, the meeting was last year... not much has changed during the last 12 months though, so you didn't miss much :D

skooler

Postby skooler » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:24 pm

Kevin Sharpe wrote:
skooler wrote:I don't normally post here but thought this was worth signing up for!

Unfortunately, the meeting was last year... not much has changed during the last 12 months though, so you didn't miss much :D

Thats really funny! cant believ I missed that!
Posts by Mike Schooling
Director and tech lead at indra.co.uk

Mazda RX8, Soliton Jr, 24KWH Sinopoly LiFePO4, Kostov 11alpha
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/sh ... 61556.html

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:10 pm

Kevin Sharpe wrote:"This was the second time this week I've had smartcard hassle. I was going to use Pod Point posts at Gatwick Airport this week but they are not yet pay-as-you-go and they couldn't remote activate it. When I got back to the airport last night, I had a look at the posts and they appeard to be turned off anyway!

I'll let them know, pretty sure I've got a contact at work for them, pointless having them if you cant use the dam things :roll:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:31 pm

Chris - Kevin was quoting David Peilow on the Tesla forum, from back in August. I imagine David has told them already.
Tim Crumpton

Return to “Events”