Brighton to London "Future Car Challenge"

BVS Events area, want to meet up with fellow EV'ers then this is the place to post. Please follow the guidelines if you are starting a topic here.

Kevin Sharpe

Re: Brighton to London "Future Car Challenge"

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:35 pm

Next years RAC Brighton to London Future Car Challenge is 5th November 2011
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:06 pm

Any update on the techical info?
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

rustybkts

Postby rustybkts » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:44 pm

retepsnikrep wrote:Any update on the techical info?

I am pleased to announce that my Elise EV used 11.64kWh from the cells and regenerated 1.89kWh of power over the 92 km or around 56 miles course.

I found it difficult to accept the regen. figure but after reading the last link that Kevin added earlier, with the VW Golf Bluemotion achieving 2.76 kWh "recouperation" (I hate that word) and 14.11 kWh from the cells, I have to accept that it is possible to regen. more than 10%.

I didn't think it feasible but there it is.

My car is obviously lighter so used a correspondingly lower amount of energy to complete the distance.
Having a couple of dud cells which were not allowing the pack to fully charge, I was very easy on the go pedal and barely used the brakes if ever.

Dale Vince's car which has Kokam pouch cells installed (very expensive but compact) followed me to London the whole way as I understand he had range anxiety issues.
Not like mine though! :?

I sneakily plugged my phone in for the last few miles, I hope that doesn't get me disqualified. :twisted:

As for the cost of the weekend, my daughter and I had the greatest of fun and it was oddly very stressful watching the kWh display reaching zero with miles of traffic to go.

I'm definitely on for next year. I just hope the press coverage is more widespread.
EV Lotus Elise with 30/67Kw Siemens ex Ford Ranger motor
Sinclair C5 twin battery
2 x Zike bikes
Electric Ride On Mower (Lynch Power!)
Bosch beard trimmer

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:41 pm

rustybkts wrote:I am pleased to announce that my Elise EV used 11.64kWh from the cells and regenerated 1.89kWh of power over the 92 km or around 56 miles course.

Crumbs, that makes the poor old berlingo pretty inefficiant :oops:

rustybkts wrote: I just hope the press coverage is more widespread.

I dunno, the vintage version the day after I thought had almost zero coverage.

By next year the Leaf will be in the public domain along with a couple of others I think so there could be more private entries ??

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:37 am

How did they measure/determine the overall placing for hybrids PHEV's using petrol/diesel and electricity? Sealed tanks?
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

neilmac

Postby neilmac » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:04 am

Electric Nemo van Future Car Challenge Video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WT8Lq4Oe3I&feature=recentu

rustybkts

Postby rustybkts » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:23 pm

retepsnikrep wrote:How did they measure/determine the overall placing for hybrids PHEV's using petrol/diesel and electricity? Sealed tanks?

They filled the tanks up at the start and again at the finish with a seal on the filler cap.

Unfortunately, some cars such as Kevin's Tesla were not data logged due to all the connections being sealed away for safety reasons due to it being a commercially available vehicle.

I would have been very happy to accept the kWh meter reading on these cars as long as the manufacturers stated they hadn't tweaked it for the event.

Typically, the electric Range Rovers were not logged either due to "technical difficulties".
I wonder how many houses you could heat with the energy used pushing one of those machines down the road.
With their quoted 75kWh battery packs, I wonder how long it would take to charge.

Congrats to Kevin for covering over 500 miles that weekend in his car considering all the reported "range anxiety" issues you read in the press.
Not bad for Tesla's first design either. No wonder everyone else is playing catch up.
EV Lotus Elise with 30/67Kw Siemens ex Ford Ranger motor
Sinclair C5 twin battery
2 x Zike bikes
Electric Ride On Mower (Lynch Power!)
Bosch beard trimmer

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:21 am

75kWh in those Range Rovers? Cripes! That's nearly as much as mine...
Tim Crumpton

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:40 am

Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

Return to “Events”