Brighton to London "Future Car Challenge"

BVS Events area, want to meet up with fellow EV'ers then this is the place to post. Please follow the guidelines if you are starting a topic here.
rustybkts

Brighton to London "Future Car Challenge"

Postby rustybkts » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:36 pm

We have all heard of the London to Brighton Vintage car rally and this year the organisers have added the Future Car Challenge which is open for all road legal electric vehicles to drive the course in the opposite direction.

The link to the site is www.futurecarchallenge.com

It will be held on the day before the Vintage car rally on Saturday 6th November and is expected to attract a number of manufacturers latest EV cars as well as private entrants.

The drawback is the £500 entry fee although with the amount of media that is expected to be there, sponsorship may well be available from regional electricity suppliers or other interested companies.

It would be a good idea for the BVS to be represented with a number of EV's.

I plan to enter the Elise although it will require a little planning with at least two full charges required to reach Brighton from Leicester.

Would anyone else be interested?
EV Lotus Elise with 30/67Kw Siemens ex Ford Ranger motor
Sinclair C5 twin battery
2 x Zike bikes
Electric Ride On Mower (Lynch Power!)
Bosch beard trimmer

ChrisB

Re: Brighton to London "Future Car Challenge"

Postby ChrisB » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:16 am

They really havent got the idea have they :roll:

£500 entrance fee :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: yeah right, lets put this into perspective, last year I spent about £95 in recharging costs and did around 3500miles, ok so its not a massive amount but all local runs, all the types of runs that a normal ICE vehicle wouldnt ever get warm and would burn huge amounts of fuel.

This sort of thing just gets my goat TOTALLY :evil:

So whos pocketing this £500 :? thats what I want to know, someone somewhere is making a nice tidy sum if you ask me, not really playing the game if you ask me :(

Edit : panic over I've found out who we are paying for ...............

Event Director – Roger Etcell
Event Manager – Jeremy Howkins
Event Entries Manager – Karen Cunningham Event PR Officers – Dermot Bambridge/Rebecca Nicholls/Chris Wall
Event Commercial Manager – Mark Pollard

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

rustybkts

Postby rustybkts » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:51 am

Chris,

I agree entirely, especially as there seem to be quite a few sponsors.
Why it couldn't be free to private entries is beyond me.
There only seems to be one at the moment which is a middle ground EV (Prius).

I guess like the Cenex show at Millbrook, they are not interested in the private entry.

It would be a good showcase for as many private entries as possible and am planning to Email my local power generating companies to offer them a £500 sticker space.

Forgetting their "energy consumption challenge", my challenge would be the 150 mile journey to Brighton and return with the 50-60 mile limit my cells give me.
It would be interesting.
Sinclair C5 twin battery
2 x Zike bikes
Bosch beard trimmer

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:09 am

rustybkts wrote:I plan to enter the Elise although it will require a little planning with at least two full charges required to reach Brighton from Leicester.
I may be able to help with this. I can get you access to a 32A charge point in Winchester and possibly some other locations as well. Please let me know if I can help.

rustybkts wrote:Would anyone else be interested?
Yes, I'm interested in undertaking the trip in my Tesla. I would be very happy to promote the BVS.... who do I discuss this with?
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

rustybkts

Postby rustybkts » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:37 pm

Hi Kevin,

I didn't know there was a Tesla owner in our midst. Lucky lad.
I have a deposit on the "S" but will probably have built my own extended range car well before they are released.

It was the Roadster that ignited my interest in EV's and why I eventually converted an Elise.

32A is a bit much for my 16A max charger but very welcome. I can see I will need to make up a few adapters when I venture afar as there can be three, four and 5 pole versions of 32A as well as with 16A.
I assume you offer a single phase 32A supply.
My car has a fixed 16A male socket for 16A supplies and a 15 metre recoil with a 13A plug for top ups.

My route will be due South from Leicester and I note on the EV Network that there are very few charge areas between Leicester and London.

Mercedes at Milton Keynes has one but I would be very low at that point.

Maybe I should book you to shadow me as a mobile energy storage device. You could always tow me for a bit so I can charge via regen! :lol:
Sinclair C5 twin battery
2 x Zike bikes
Bosch beard trimmer

philaedwards

Postby philaedwards » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:13 pm

I can offer charging in East Sussex, about 20 miles from Brighton, if anyone's interested. Just 13A sockets are all I can offer, but if it helps let me know.

Free tour of my (under construction) electric drag race motorbike offered to all takers!!! (see www.weald-evt.co.uk)

regards, Phil
XJ600 electric drag race project
Don't you love it when your project's "80% finished" ? It's so satisfying to know there's only 80% left to do...

rustybkts

Postby rustybkts » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:29 am

I bent the ear of one of the organisers regarding access to charging points and he quickly replied with a "news update" which amongst other things, describes the supply of charging points at the start, halfway point and finishing area.

He explained that they initially organised the event as a showcase for manufacturers to display their various low energy cars but they now realise that there is a lot of interest from privately built EV's and are planning to cater for them as well.

I did try to attach the file he sent me but it is just larger than the 250kb maximum the site allows.

The event should prove to be interesting and will certainly help to push the EV into the public eye as the cars will be parked opposite the Veteran Car Run cars in Regent Street which have their run the following day.
Sinclair C5 twin battery
2 x Zike bikes
Bosch beard trimmer

philaedwards

Postby philaedwards » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:15 pm

Strange, just looked again at the details (or tried to) and the page shows "access forbidden"
XJ600 electric drag race project
Don't you love it when your project's "80% finished" ? It's so satisfying to know there's only 80% left to do...

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:15 pm

Phil Edwards wrote:Strange, just looked again at the details (or tried to) and the page shows "access forbidden"
I get the same thing... it was working earlier today so I guess they are updating the site.
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

rustybkts

Postby rustybkts » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:33 am

Very odd.

I tried today and the site is totally different with a horrible blue background and small difficult to read text.

Couldn't have taken more than ten minutes to build.

The first site was much clearer.

They still haven't included the "News Update" that I was sent either.

I will try to pack it smaller so it can be attached. It is just too large at 267kb.
Sinclair C5 twin battery
2 x Zike bikes
Bosch beard trimmer

Return to “Events”