South : Wednesday 7 July 2010 : Show (not stand)

BVS Events area, want to meet up with fellow EV'ers then this is the place to post. Please follow the guidelines if you are starting a topic here.
arsharpe

South : Wednesday 7 July 2010 : Show (not stand)

Postby arsharpe » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:30 pm

(Yes I know it is short notice but)
I have managed to negotiate BVS participation in this event.
Thanks to Jeff S, John R and Jon C members local to Brighton, I will be able to take a Berlingo and Prius on this rally.

I am still looking for someone to drive the Prius from Brighton to London.

If you want to join us at the start or end of the rally then please feel free.

ChrisB

Re: South : Wednesday 7 July 2010 : Show (not stand)

Postby ChrisB » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:02 pm

Would have loved to help out getting Prius there , not driven one of those before and I keep looking at them as my next long range motah.

But sadly no chance at this short notice :cry:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:52 pm

Below is some feedback that I will be sending to the organiser on Wed 14 July.
If you would like me to consider any other comments, please let me know.

Rob

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the great Bridgestone Eco-rally 2010 event and allowing the Battery Vehicle Society to participate.

I am sure that you would be interested in feedback from users like myself and discussions on our forum etc.

What went well :-
-it was great to see key celebrities supporting the event and providing excellent endorsement
-it was great to see the variety of cars showing the various technologies available.
the website was good, though maybe a little busy on the front page and difficult to see the program of events
-it was generally well publicised (although I don't remember it being posted on electriccarsUK@yahoogroups.com)
-the flexible approach in allowing last minute entrants was much appreciated

Things to think about
-Finish location. Hyde Park has lot of potential and is easily accessible from Central London. The Royal Parks’ electric vehicles were in evidence passing several times, but there did not seem to be any awareness of the possible connection between the event and the onsite vehicles.
-As electric vehicles are going to be major part of a sustainable transport system, I was surprised to find a lack of charging facilities at both the start and finish locations (some people like myself came a long way, for me 150 mile round trip and only have a 55 mile range). If there had been charging available at the finish the vehicles could have been charging while on display. (We discovered, too late, that the inflatable Finish marker was powered by a Hydrogen-powered generator which could have been used in this regard as it had loads of spare capacity)
-Feedback from the Battery Vehicle Society forum and the electriccarsUK@yahoogroups.com indicates that more members of the general public would have attended if the event had been held at a weekend rather than during a working day. This is important (as I have found from doing many shows) that it is the public perception that is the limiting factor that will drive take-up of electric vehicles.
-I was surprised not to see the Nissan Leaf there (but you might have been let down by Nissan).
-There was no display stand featuring major manufacturers such as Mitsubishi, Nissan, Mini, Toyota, Smiths Edison, Optare etc. Were they invited to attend? Would you like help in getting them there next year?

In summary, the event has been a success for everyone including the Battery Vehicle Society and my own company (Evergreen Consulting Ltd) and we look forward to attending the event next year.

If you would like to meet and discuss any of these points further please let me know.

Regards,
Rob

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:32 pm

Interesting feedback Rob

Find it highly amusing that a Eco Rally designed for electric cars didnt have any form of recharging available :lol: :lol: you have to wonder who is actually at the helm of the Bridgestone Eco-rally making such a school boy error, hopefully your feedback will cure this issue for the coming years 8)
( actually might have an idea here....... I'll get back to you on it once i've asked a few questions)

Cant believe that ......

-There was no display stand featuring major manufacturers such as Mitsubishi, Nissan, Mini, Toyota, Smiths Edison, Optare etc. Were they invited to attend? Would you like help in getting them there next year?

So who was there then :? .......well apart from us :mrgreen:

Totally agree with the "holding it mid week" comment you make, even at short'ish notice I recon I'd have been able to help out by taking your Prius up there had been at the weekend, might have even gone myself anyway, but midweek is a total no go, and as you say doesnt help the whole public perception thing.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “Events”