ELECTRATHON - - 2010 - - IT'S ON!!

BVS Events area, want to meet up with fellow EV'ers then this is the place to post. Please follow the guidelines if you are starting a topic here.
ex925

Vehicles allowed at the 2010 BVS Electrathon

Postby ex925 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi, RetepSnikrep, good to hear from you.
As this year, we are unanimous that any machine incorporating any step towards carbon-reduction by use of electricity is welcome. Taking as an example, the recent video on "The Gadget Show" of a portable array which gained an electrical charge from ambient microwave radiation by means of micro-antennae, I feel strongly that we should be entirely open-minded. I am certain that no BVS member would wish to exclude, even unintentionally, any method by which we can reduce fossil-fuel use. I would prefer we be inclusive.

In the 2009 EVent, we sought to compare the wide variety of entrants' machines by the only common factor we could devise at the time. We tried to assess energy use measured by re-charge cost. I feel we were reasonably successful as far as it went, because although the results were patchy to say the least, we learned a great deal, came to a positive common view of what to try next, in 2010, to evolve the method(s) of comparison, and had a good deal of enjoyable, if a little chaotic, competition in the process

In passing, I should claim authorship of any shortcomings. Time was very limited when we finally got everything organised, and the results criteria was one of my tasks. It was "completed" in great haste........

Another consideration in 2009 was to enable machine owners to have somewhere to test and improve machines not road legal but sufficiently safe. This was also a success, due largely to the diligence, knowledge, tact, understanding, and considerable experience of our group of volunteer scrutineers. Two examples of what we had in mind were an amazingly minimalist trike and a remarkably ingenuously designed and well-engineered "GreenPower" single-seater racer

We intend to enlarge on the success of 2009, particularly with an increased variety of exhibits and activities, including trade, industry and regulating-body stands and discussion forums
We also plan to have circuit-racing, a separate, (non-competitive) circuit for those wishing to "Try an EV under supervision", possibly another separate arena for sprint or drag-racing, and room for related subjects, such as road-EV issues, home-power generation, and focal-points for related groups such as G-Wizz, Hybrid-cars and other HEVs, (even C5s), and "Pedelecs"

We hope to see an even wider range of designs, innovations, and enthralling lateral-thinking solutions in 2010.
When it comes to enabling fair competition between such disparate machines as we hope will join us next year, would anyone wish to propose where the line between should be drawn ?
How would we safely define any machine as not advancing the cause ?
Should we even consider exclusion ?
Can anyone suggest additional ways of comparison, classification, or rating, to enable closer competition and more precise results ?
Please may we have suggestions for interesting additional types of events or competitions ?

Even though it is "Early Days" in arranging the 2010 Electrathon, I already feel a degree of acceleration in the race between time and tasks!
No hint of panic yet, but, well, a slight sense of needing to get lots of things done as early as possible, driven by the knowledge that details multiply to over-fill any perceived temporal safety-margin. So, please pass the word to as many other people as possible who are in any way, however tenuously, linked to EVs or carbon-use-reduction
We especially need volunteer venue staff from within the BVS. I promise you a wonderful sense of achievement and satisfaction, and great enjoyment
(but no wages. "Two out of Three ain't bad....." ?)

Finally, Peter, I personally cannot wait to learn all I can from someone who has already achieved something to which I aspire. Do, please come to the 2010 Electrathon with that amazing Honda, (and anything or anyone else whom you can bring or persuade)
All the best
Ed

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:22 am

Thanks for the Ed. Jim Fell might be persuaded to bring his PHEV Prius as well. He is also considering a full electric Insight conversion. Peter
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

ex925

Just to say .... "Quiet, but not still"

Postby ex925 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:59 pm

Yes, it has gone very quiet, and there are a few wrinkles under scrutiny
Fear not, but progress is being made.
More soonest
Happy New Year to all, and may all our projects leap forward
from ED

booboo

Postby booboo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:14 pm

Once the date is confirmed I'll add it to my c5alive forum.

I'd like to attend this one, maybe bring along the Test Hill C5 8)
London to Brighton on a Sinclair C5 - 6/5/07 - what a trip !
Ford Explorer 4.0 v6 petrol for everyday abuse - thank God for LPG
Sinclair C5's (Plus "c5alive.co.uk" ) as a hobby

ex925

A "SuperC5"... YES PLEASE from Ed

Postby ex925 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:18 pm

Yes Please, we would love to see you
Please encourage as many other C5ers as you can to come as well
Please persuade as many other owners of EVs or hybrids or any other vehicles aimed at reduced carbon fuel as humanly possible to join us
Many thanks
Looking forward to it
All the best from the BVS
And from Ed in Plymouth

booboo

Postby booboo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:12 pm

Can I just confirm the date for this event is still the last weekend in September , i.e 25th and 26th ?

Just checking as I'd hate to publish the wrong info on my website :wink:
London to Brighton on a Sinclair C5 - 6/5/07 - what a trip !
Ford Explorer 4.0 v6 petrol for everyday abuse - thank God for LPG
Sinclair C5's (Plus "c5alive.co.uk" ) as a hobby

ex925

2010 BVS Electrathon, Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th Septem

Postby ex925 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:42 pm

Thank you for asking
Delighted to see real motivation, that's what we need
Yes, the 2010 BVS Electrathon was booked back in 2009, shortly after the 2009 EVent, and is front and centre in our minds in 2010

The 2010 BVS Electrathon is scheduled to take place at Shakespeare County Raceway, near Stratford on Avon, on Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th September

Really hoping that all EV groups will be "on the case" this year, as 2010 is already becoming the Year of the EV at all levels, from new EVents through new EVs and new infrastructure to a sudden realisaton that there really are many affordable, non-nuclear, sustainable ways to generate AND distribute sufficient electric energy. On top of that, there are some other interesting sustainable-energy concepts gaining momentum. Electricity happens to be the best bet we have presently, and two of the other alternative-energy ideas involve electric energy anyway, so keep on sparking. Really looking forward to how much progress in all areas we will see by September 2010. I believe we will all be moved to take a breather together sometime during the 2010 Electrathon to stop and realise how much progress has accelerated beyond even our 2009 aspirations.

All the best, keep in touch, and lets all make it amazing together, from Ed

ex925

Re: ELECTRATHON - - 2010 - - IT'S ON!! - new Co-Ordinator

Postby ex925 » Sun May 02, 2010 11:26 am

John Cave has kindly agreed to take on the post of BVS EVents and competitions Co-Ordinator, from now
Contact point remains as before

events@batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk

John is far more efficient and effective, and in good health, so things from now on will be a lot less hazy and intermittent

All the best
Ed

philaedwards

Re: ELECTRATHON - - 2010 - - IT'S ON!!

Postby philaedwards » Sun May 02, 2010 8:22 pm

I'm a recent new member building a drag-race bike so very keen to get out and about (not sure how much of it will be built by then but very keen to bring it along in whatever shape). Put me down as very interested, 'specially if there's a drag strip to try out on.

Will keep looking for more updates.

regards, Phil
XJ600 electric drag race project
Don't you love it when your project's "80% finished" ? It's so satisfying to know there's only 80% left to do...

ex925

Re: ELECTRATHON - - 2010 - - IT'S ON!!, and momentum is building

Postby ex925 » Mon May 03, 2010 8:41 pm

Can't wait to see this years entrants and machines
Should be amazing
All the best
Ed

PS
And my project is taking n times longer than I thought.................
Ho, hum, must keep welding!

Return to “Events”